Chapter 8

1/13/19
(A/N: 2 chapters in one night YEET)

Rodney stormed out of Bigweld's workshop after all of that, so you and the female robot followed. You all climbed into the helicopter. "Where to?" She asked softly.

"The train station." Rodney grumbled, shifting in his seat to stare hopelessly out the window with his arms folded. The female robot, whose name you learned to be Cappy, looked at you through the mirror. You gave her a small nod and frowned.

The flight there was uncomfortably quiet. You and Cappy could easily feel Rodney's distress, yet neither of you knew just what to do to handle the situation. You wanted to hold his hand and look into his blue eyes, telling him everything was alright, but you couldn't bring yourself to do it. Really, you felt rather defeated like Rodney. Your only hope of getting home didn't even care about his own kind, so why would he even think to help you?

It was dark and empty when you arrived at the train station. It was both depressing and dead. Rodney excused himself to head to the phone booth while Cappy went to get his train ticket. You followed Rodney to the phone booth, waiting outside as he called his parents.

You tried not to listen to his responses, not wanting to intrude on his conversation, but you couldn't help yourself at times. It was hard to ignore the cracks in his voice and the sadness in his voice. It hurt you to see your friend like this. His eyes no longer held that passionate fire with determination; it had all been replaced by tiredness and pain. The usual spring was gone from his step and you weren't feeling any optimistic vibes from him anymore.

Soon, Rodney hung up the phone and left the booth. He stopped and looked at you, seeing how you were just as unhappy as he was. You both engulfed each other in a hug at the same time, your head resting against his chest while his cheek rested on top of your head. "I'm sorry, Rodney." You whispered.

"It's not your fault." He responded quietly. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"But I'm sorry that I can't make you feel better." You frowned, hugging him tighter.

"If anything, I'm the one who should be sorry."

"No, no."

"Yes." He replied firmly. "I'm walking away from all the promises I made you." He pulled out of the hug and kneeled in front of you, cupping your face in his hands. He looked into your eyes, a frown tugging at his mouth. "I know that look."

"What look?" You asked.

"I can see it in your eyes." He whispered. "The pain, the suffering, the sadness. I knew it all those weeks ago, and I knew it earlier at the ball. You're sick, aren't you?"

Your eyes widened slightly, surprised he was able to finally pick up on it successfully. Your frown grew bigger as you nodded slowly, a tear escaping your eye. "Yes. Rodney, I'm...." You didn't have the courage to finish your thought, to tell him you were dying.

He caressed your cheeks with his thumbs as he leaned in closer. "I can't just abandon you. Not after all you've done for me. Not after all the promises I made."

"(Y/N)," he continued, "you give me hope. You're both my determination and my inspiration. I'm not just going to leave you behind in your time of need."

"Rodney, I don't care about any of it!" You replied. Rodney's eyes widened, surprised by your claim and change in demeanor. "I don't care about getting home or eating anymore! I'm more worried about you."

You placed your hands over his, which still rested on your cheeks. You gently removed his hands from your cheeks so that you could easily hold them in your own. "Rodney, I want you to be happy. Stop worrying about me and do what makes you happy. Fight for your happiness, and fight for what's right."