1950's - 6

"Kill me now

"Kill me now."

"What was that sweetie?" Cece looked up at him from under his arm, which was (forcefully) wrapped around her shoulder. "Did you just say-"

"I️ said "kiss me now"," he quickly covered up, before attacking her lips with hers to distract her. She squealed in delight at his surprise kiss but more than welcomed it.

But as soon as he looked up, he met with the soft brown eyes of the girl who his heart really belonged to.

Grace and her friends had just walked into the diner when she spotted Daniel and his white friends on the other side

Grace and her friends had just walked into the diner when she spotted Daniel and his white friends on the other side. With the law really pushing racial desegregation, the town they lived in had permitted diners, movie theaters, restaurants, stores and public transportation to be used by both blacks and whites, much to the dismays of the whites. So this was Grace's first time stepping foot in the town's diner.

And apparently she picked a bad day to do it.

"Grace, come on," Joseph gently tugged on her hand, leading her to a booth on the other side of the diner. Sitting in between Josie and Joe, Grace tried to focus on the menu in front of her but her eyes flickered up and unexpectedly met with Daniel's, making her quickly avert her eyes.

"So what are you getting?" Joseph asked, catching her attention.

"Just a strawberry milkshake," she says. "I'm not that...hungry," she tells him. She then catches the jukebox in the corner and noticed nobody was using it. "Can I️ have a quarter, Joe?" She asked him. He quickly fished one out of his pocket and handed it to her. "Thanks," she smiled, getting up and walking over to the jukebox. She picked a couple of songs out and before she knew it, Elvis played through the speakers, making everyone cheer.

Grace ran over and pulled Joseph up by his arm. "Come on snake, let's rattle!" She giggled.
Everyone got up to dance, including Josie and her date, to Elvis's smooth rock & roll. Grace happily spun around in his arms, her skirt billowing out from the momentum until she stopped and laughed against his chest.