1980's - 7

Maya was just shutting her locker when she jumped in surprise to see Nick standing behind the door. "What the hell? Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" She smacks his arms, making him laugh. "It's not funny asshole," she hissed.

"Are you always this uptight?" He observes as he leans against the other lockers with his arms folded.

"Are you always this dumb?" She retorts. "What do you want now?" She asks with a sigh.

Nick gathers up the courage to speak. "I️ think we both said some things we didn't mean Friday," he brings up their explosive conversation from CJ's party. "So, I️ just want to apologize," he says. "Which, is not something I️ do by the way."

Maya eyes him suspiciously. "So why are apologizing then?" She wonders.

"Believe it or not, you make me wanna be a better person."

Maya looks up at him in surprise. "Oh..."

"Don't act all surprise," he rolled his eyes. "I️ told you already, I️ can be nice."

"Well in that case," she says, "I'm sorry too." Nick nods and was about to leave when she speaks up again, "But I️ was serious about...getting to know you."

Nick pauses and faces her, looking at her thoughtfully before nodding his head. "Meet me in the parking lot after school," he said before turning around and leaving. Maya looks down and smiles to herself before heading to class herself.

Later that afternoon, she met him by his car. "I'm surprised you actually stayed the whole day," she said, getting in. "Usually you skip out during lunch."

Nick looks up at her after he starts the car. "How would you know that? We don't have any classes together," Nick points out with a slight smirk on his face, making her eyes widen in realization. "You been watching me?" He grins amusingly.

"What? No!" She stutters. "No, I just noticed-"

"Ohh...you noticed-"

"Just drive Brewer!" She snaps, flustered. This makes him laugh as he peels out of the school parking lot. While driving he turns the radio on, landing on the rock station. An unfamiliar song blares through his speaker and he raises the volume to deafening volumes.

"Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. Oh, won't you please take me home?" He lip syncs, much to her amusement. She smiles as she watches him bop his head to the beat. Soon she joins in and moves her heat to the beat as well. Rock music usually wasn't her choice of music. Her parents always warned and scared her away from it so she hadn't given it much of a listen. But now she could see the appeal.

They spent another couple of minutes listening to rock music before Nick parks in front of the local lake. Not many people were crowding it like they usually do on the weekends cause it was 2 PM on a Monday, so it gave them a sense of privacy. Nick turns the car off but leaves the radio on and gets out, reaching into his pocket for cigarettes and lighter. Maya gets out beside him as he takes a drag, watching him. He looks over at her and holds the cigarette out to her, and she takes it, taking a puff before coughing wildly.

"Not for you I️ see," he says while he finishes smoking it. "Doesn't matter, it's bad for your health anyways," he takes one last drag before flicking it to the ground and stepping on it.

"Then why do you do it?" Maya asks him.

He shrugs. "Cause I'm already fucked so it wouldn't make a difference whether I️ quit or not," he tells her as he sits on the hood of the car, looking out towards the lake.