present day - 15

Aaliyah walks alongside Carolina through the food court after doing a bit of after Christmas shopping. "What are you craving?" Aaliyah asks Carolina as they decided what restaurant they wanted to go to.

"Hmm....Chinese maybe?" Carolina suggested.

"Always a great choice, huh?" She laughs. They headed over to the Chinese place and placed their orders. Once they got it, they sat down at the nearest and cleanest table possible. After not seeing each other for two weeks, Carolina suggested they go out to the mall to treat themselves to an after Christmas sale and to spend time with each other. And Aaliyah truly felt like she needed a friend right now.

"So how are you an Eli?" Carolina asks as she takes a bite out of her orange chicken.

"Fine," Aaliyah simply replies, her appetite ruined.

Carolina looked up and noticed this

Carolina looked up and noticed this. "You not gonna eat?" She asks.

"I️ think I'll save it for when I️ get home," she excuses. Carolina gives her a weird look but mutters "okay" and keeps on eating. "Anyways..." she changes the subject. "The winter formal is coming up. And guess who I'm gonna ask to be my date?" She gushes.

"Jay?" Aaliyah offers while she reaches for her Sprite. She's noticed the guy has a huge crush on her. He wasn't very subtle about it in all honesty. And no doubt Carolina knows too, cause a lot of guys at school have a crush on her, she just chooses to ignore them. "High standards" was her excuse.

Carolina scrunches her nose in disgust. "Ugh, no," she dismisses quickly. "I️ was thinking about...Jackson."

Aaliyah chokes on her drink, coughing viciously as Carolina watches in a mixture of horror and confusion. "Holy shit, are you okay?"

"Jackson?!" She exclaims. "Why-why would you go with him?" She asks, desperately wondering what the fuck was going on at the moment.

Carolina looked at her as if the answer was obvious. "Um, he's hot and single?" She offers.

Aaliyah couldn't believe what she was hearing. "You gotta be fucking kidding me right now." She spits, making Carolina wince at the statement.

" She spits, making Carolina wince at the statement