Chapter 13: A little welcome commotion

"We will have company tomorrow" Charles announces one afternoon.

I feel myself turning on a very surprised face. Besides Rebecca, no one has come to visit Royal Crescent in the months I have known him. Surely, him accepting visits must be another sign his health is going in the right direction.

"Really? Who?"

"It's not one person, it's my section. Or, I still see them as my section even though they have another CO now when I'm on sick leave."

"CO?"

"Commanding officer."

"Aha... I guess that must have been hard."

"What?"

"Going from having a bunch of people you could command what to do, to just one" I'm smirking.

"Yeah, especially as that one doesn't always do as I tell her to."

We grin at each other. I don't really know how come, but since the fantastic lunch it feels like Charles and I are so synced, having a mutual understanding, laughing about almost anything together. Like every day holds a hidden joke. I feel like I'm smiling most of the time in his company.

"Does she ever do as you tell her?"

He pretends to think.

"I think there was this one time..." and then he unexpectedly reaches out a long arm and tickles me. "...but only after I had used my most stern voice."

I'm trying to get away from his tickle, taking advantage of that he still cannot move like I can and breathless exclaim;

"Oi! What was that about? I didn't deserve that."

"Oh, I think you did, Dawesy."

"Stop it! What does your most stern voice sound like?" I try to distract him with a question.

"FOR FUCKS SAKE DAWES, THAT'S AN ORDER!"

His voice cuts through my laughter like a knife. I find myself almost standing to attention and suddenly have no problem visualising him in the role of the officer, who's orders anyone would follow. He is a bit terrifying - and also, seriously hot.

Nooo... No! No, I did not just think that. Absolutely not.

I wriggle to get away from him still tickling me and sit straight on the sofa, at a safe distance from him, putting on a mock serious face.

"Now you scared the shit out of me! Sometimes I don't know who you are" I pant.

He frowns.

"How do you mean?"

"Tickle me... and then talking like that. It's like two different personalities."

"I'm both" he grins.

And I suppose he is. I'm trying my best to repress it, but this combination of stern man and playful boy causes a very inappropriate surge going through my body. Now it is me telling myself silently, 'For fucks sake Molly, pull yourself together!' I must remind myself that Charles is my employer, Smurf my boyfriend. Things are becoming very confusing. Confusing, but not unpleasant in any way.

"Schizophrenic you mean? Anyway, okay, then I know. I'll stay out of your way tomorrow."

"No, why?"

"I thought you might want some quality time with your lads."

"I do, but I would also like you to meet them."