Chapter 16: So many questions

Telling my family was easier than expected. Of course, I gave them different amounts of information, like one version rated for adults and one for kids. The younger ones, Bonnie, Charlie, Liam and Ella, only got to know that Smurf had behaved badly and hit me (because that was difficult to hide anyway) and that we are no longer together, meanwhile Bella, mum, dad and Nan got to know all. Every horrible detail, like Charles had encouraged me to share with them. And he was right, telling them made it weigh less heavy inside me – especially since their reactions were only care and concern when it came to me, range when it came to Smurf. Dad was half-way out the door on a mission to wallop him, when I stopped him since a charge for assault might just end up with him losing his job – and Smurf is not worth that. We love our family cinema Sundays too much, and we need the money.

About a week after Smurf's assault, I unexpectedly get a text message from Matt. He asks if we can meet up at a café and have a chat. First, I get really stressed out. Even if Matt is a good guy, he is so very linked to Smurf and the last situation when I met him that the mere thought of meeting him is enough for me to feel panic-stricken. And what if it is just a way to lure me to meet Smurf, I just could not stand facing him.

I'm with Charles when I get the message, having lunch together in the kitchen after he has done his morning physio at home. He has just had a shower and sits in front of me, hair more curly than usual because it is still damp and dressed in a grey hoodie instead of shirt, which makes him look relaxed and at ease. He obviously pays attention to my face expression as I get the text.

"What is it Dawesy, you look like you've seen a ghost?"

"It's a message from Matt, you know they guy in Smurf's house that interrupted..."

I cannot make myself finish the sentence. He nods.

"So, he asks to meet with me in a café, but I'm not sure if I should go, if I can manage seeing him. He just makes me think of Smurf. And what if Smurf would turn up?"

"Do you like this Matt? I mean, do you think he is the type who would set you up to see Smurf after what he saw?"

"No, not really, but I was so mistaken about Smurf that I'm not sure I trust my judgement anymore."

"I think your judgement is just fine, it's just that Smurf freaked out in an unpredictive way. But would you like to hear what Matt has to say?"

"I think so, it just stresses me out too."

"Then, I'll come with you. Not into the café, but I can stay nearby and if there's anything that worries you, you can just call me or text me and I'll be there in a minute. Would that be okay for you?"

"That would be amazing of you, then I would feel safe to go."

"No problem, of course I'll do that."

So, two days later, Charles positions himself at a bench as back-up forces to be called in if needed, meanwhile I enter the café where I have agreed with Matt to meet. He is already there and to my relief he is alone, no Smurf to be seen. He greets me with a warm and genuine hug.

"Hi Molly, so glad we could meet."

He asks what I want and gets himself a cappuccino and a tea for me and we sit down at a table, and I wait for him to start talking.

"How are you, Molly?"

"Quite fine", I answer hesitantly as I still do not know what he wants with this encounter.

"I'm so glad to see you and that you look okay. I walked around with a knot in my stomach after that day, when you just rushed out. It was so obvious that something that was not right had been going on, but I could not get anything out of Smurf. He was just weird and shut himself up in his room. Then the police contacted me for a hearing, and I realised just how wrong."