Chapter 1

Image was found on: https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/587568-quality-german-shepherd-young-female-to-be-rehomed-preston.html

The above picture is what Maggie the dog would look like:

Diane King sits in the break-room at Valley Point Memorial Hospital after finishing Arthur's pacemaker procedure. She looks up at the clock which reads 4:15 pm. Then Charlotte Lyons, a fellow cardiologist and close friend walks into the room. Charlotte glances at Diane's tired eyes. "Hey D, how are you doing?" 

Diane yawns loudly, before uttering, "Between the procedures, treating patients, and my pregnancy, I am so exhausted." Diane reaches for a cup of coffee and then remembers she should not have any more caffeine. She compromises with a cup of green tea instead.  

Charlotte smiles as if about to laugh. "Diane, wait until the baby comes, then you'll really know what being exhausted truly means." Charlotte recalls memories of her daughter. "Elizabeth would cry all the time at night. I actually had to ask for a week off from work due to lack of sleep. My mom came to help with the baby while I caught up on sleep. I came back from maternity leave way too early. I wish I had taken the optional third month off. I have to go now, I've got an appointment to get to."

Diane nods and takes Charlotte's words to heart. She thinks to herself, what am I going to do? I love my career, but I don't want to be exhausted all of the time. I don't want to struggle to stay awake to help treat my patients. Diane looks at the black rimmed, circular clock on the wall, it reads 5:06 pm. Diane looks at the schedule that is taped to the wall next to the blue fridge. Diane remembers she has three appointments in her office. 

After she won the award for being the 'Most Respectable Cardiologist' at the International Doctors Association ceremony, she has been recognized by other doctors and patients, which has been great for her career.

    Thomas Walsh,assistant director of the Cardiology department walks into the breakroom, with a smile on his face. "Oh! Diane, I am glad I caught you. My assumption is thatyou are coming back from maternity leave as expected. You are very valuable here at the hospital and a lot of people are counting on you to come back. Since your maternity leave is soon, I'm already working on the schedule, so letme know if there are any changes." Thomas turned around and went back to work, leaving Diane too deep within her thoughts. How will I continue at thispace once the baby comes? Will I be able to get enough rest to treat my patients with the same care that they get now? Do I even want to work? I can't even believe I am saying that to myself. Do I want to stay home with the baby?   

**** 

On Diane's way home from work, she picks up her two-year-old, German Shepherd, Maggie (Cover Image for the Chapter, its seen above.) from Ken's Doggie Daycare Service. She walks into the daycare service and Ken brings out Maggie, who's very happy see her human mom. Ken jokingly says to Diane, "Looks like you're due soon. It's too bad we don't take babies at our doggie daycare." 

(Play this song, below here)

Diane just smiles while her insides are still filled with turmoil. She's looking forward to a quiet evening with her husband, Aaron and some Chinese food. Diane begins her fifteen-minute commute home. She's tired of the day and thinking about the future, so she reaches to the radio and turns on her Alanis Morissette CD, 'Jagged Little Pill'. As she gets lost in the song 'Ironic', she begins to feel like herself again. She puts the windows down, turns the volume up and sings as loud as she possibly can.