Chapter 9

This image came from: https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Coolden-Glitter-Sparkle-Shockproof/dp/B077SBW874

It was Mondaymorning, Diane opens the maternity leave email and clicks on the word document.Questions are flying through her brain. 

Are you taking the optional third month for maternity leave? When is your expectedreturn after maternity leave? Will you need to lessen the amount ofappointments you see when you do come back? Would you sign up, if the hospitalprovided a daycare center for the babies and children of doctors?

Diane answersall the questions with honesty and detail. She smiles when she is finished. Diane saves thedocument to her mint green flash drive, and sends it back over to Thomas.    

However, she keepsthinking about question two concerning when is your expected return

Diane stands up fromthe desk chair. Her feet drag her to oneend of the room to the other. Diane picks up the blue covered iPhone (Cover Image, picture above), and her fingers dance across the screen. "Hey mom, how are you?"

Diane's mom, Nina, with a worried, caring tone in her voice says, "Honey, how's Joy? How are you? Do you need anything? I can be over soon, if you need me to."

 Diane calms her mom down. "Mom, Joy is fine. Everything is fine. I just wanted to get some advice." 

Nina takes a moment to catch her breath. "Ok. I am sorry. I'm a worry wart sometimes, it runs in the family, you know? Now, what can I help you with my dear?" 

 Diane explains herinner conflict to her mom. "I just don't know what I should do. I don't know ifI will be able to balance being a good mom and having a career. I am so scaredthat I will screw things up for Joy and for my family. I just don't understandhow you did it. You're so strong mom, stronger then me." 

Diane frowns a bit andshe can hear her mom sigh with empathy. "Diane, listen to me. I did balance acareer and children. I spent a lot of time at work, but when I had some freetime I would spend it with you and your brother. I was able to balance itbecause I had support from your grandparents and your father."

 Diane hangs offof every word her mom is saying, as if it is mystery book and they are close tofinding out who the killer is. "Diane you are strong and I did put this kind ofpressure on myself too. You're not alone in this. I want you to remember this. Youare a strong, independent women who worked her hardest to get to where you are.You just have to work hard for your daughter and your family. You also have towork hard for yourself. Balance will come with time, you will figure it out asyou go."

 Diane realizes her mother is absolutely right. "Mom, What if I chosenot go back to work?" 

Diane can hear her mother's soft breathe through thephone. "Diane, You stillhave to work hard to make sure your kids are ok. You will be a greatmom, either way. I did have more struggles being a career mom, especiallyworking at the hospital. I found myself exhausted a lot and not able to keep upwith you guys. Sometimes, I would miss small milestones because I was with apatient. However, you and Leo would see me as a super hero because your dadwould say I save lives. That would always make me laugh."

Diane laughs "I remember that mom. You came home and yelled 'SUPER MOM IS HERE' and we wouldrun around the house."  

Diane's mom smiles through the phone and stays silent for a while. "Diane, if you do decide tostay home, it would be easier, especially since you come home at odd hoursevery night. You also work seven days a week. It will be difficult to see yourkids, especially with a doctor's work schedule."   

Diane tells her mom she understands. Diane hangs up the phone and then walks into Joy's room to feed her.