My Heartbeat and His(Jason Todd)

Stillness. The world was filled with stillness in that moment. The rained had stoped pouring. Cars stopped beeping. The lights had dimmed. Everything was lifeless except for to things, my heartbeat and his.

Now, with his gun aimed between my eyes, I feel gutted down to my very core. Was this it? Was this how it all ended? My life has come to its final chapter by the love of my life, who now stares into me but hatred.

I held my hands, out in a sort of surrender. My lips parted as I tried to mutter out an apology or some sort of explanation. No sound came from me

for he had shot his gun.

———

Laughter came barreling down the halls along with the two of us. We were children once, a long time ago. I tried to catch him, only falling a few feet behind. His caps only a few inches from my fingers. Our giggles echoed down the hall as we flashed by a few of the league members. I'm sure they had rolled their eyes at our antics.

Today was the two year anniversary of the Junior Justice League. Due to the excitement of everyone on the team, our mentors decided to throw us a party in honor of the team. Jason and I had only joined the league a little over six months ago. When Dick finally grew out of the red suit, that's when Batman recruited Jason. My mentor, Batwoman, forced me to join the team alongside him. Of course being the two most problematic ones on the team, we hit it off right away.

Speaking of problematic, the sounds of to thumps echoed through the hall. When Jason came to a sudden half, I fell into him. We both laid on the floor groaning for a second before we turned to each other. It only took a few seconds before our small giggles turned into bursts of laughter. We just laid there, laughing, the whole world to ourselves.

That was before we heard a sudden cough, bringing our attention upwards. There stood our two mentors. The dark knight himself looked over us, his face stoke with his lips turned downwards. The other let a small smirk spread on her lips as she popped her hip out.

Faster than Kid Flash, we sprang up from the ground looking at each of our mentors. Robin scratched the back of his neck. I shrugged my shoulders with an embarrassed smile.

"You two are lucky today is your day off. If this were during any other time, you both would be on mission probation with nothing to do except to clean the whole batcave. What you two are doing is completely irrespons-"

"What Bruce means is that your off the hook this time, but don't make this a habit. Now run along, the rest of the teams been looking for you two." Kate said with a chuckle before shooing is away. Bruce muttered something towards her before stalking off. With Jason and I sharing one last look I gave myself a head start and started running. I heard a "hey" as he began to chase after me.

———

When my mother, Maggie Sawyer, found out what I was doing with my evenings for the past year, let's just say her absolute rage was an understatement. She broke up with Kate, burned my suit, and banned all communication with any member of the batfamily. My mother has always accepted heroes, but she never wanted her own daughter to become one.

So what do you do when your mother has gone haywire and has put the house on lockdown? You hack the security system and sneak the hell out.

'rooftop. Pop's Diner. 11 pm' I hit send then slid my phone into my back pocket. I quickly grabbed a thin jacket and slid on my boots before jumping out the window.

I got to the rooftop at 10:45 pm. Sheltered in the silence, I closed my eyes and basked under the stars. Before I knew it someone kicked me in the side.