XI. The fatal night

After the unintentional cockblock, Masamune left to Oshu to resolve a dangerous situation in his territory. He left me a message explaining everything. His last sentence was: 'I'll get you good when I get back!' This was almost two weeks ago, he had to be on his way back by now. I was impatient and burning with sexual frustration. I could barely focus on my duties, memories of that night kept flashing up in front of my eyes. I had to clear my mind. Fortunately, I got a day off. I woke up early, gathered some supplies and told Kio, I was going to the forest to paint plants. She was concerned about me going alone but I reassured her that I'll be back before dark.

The weather was exceptionally nice all day. I might say it was perfect. The sun was smiling at me and the warm breeze was playing with my hair. I imagined Masamune playing with my hair. I was thinking about Masamune way too much lately. More than I should have. I grew fond of him. I went to the forest shrine and wished for good luck and happiness for my warlords like I always did when I was there. The soothing sounds of the forest silenced the echoes of my mind. I felt peace and calmness. I haven't felt this centered for a long time. I spent the day painting watercolour illustrations of the plants I saw in the forest. I also wrote detailed descriptions about them. I was in the state of flow as I worked. The botanist in me clapped her hands in delight everytime I spotted a new plant. And there was always a new one and all of them were beautiful. Plants always brought me joy. I really am a crazy plant lady. I didn't realise it was already late afternoon until I ran out of paper.

'Oh, shit. It's going to be dark before I get back to the town. I'd better get going.' With this thought in my mind, I quickly gathered my stuff and headed back to Azuchi.

The darkness has already flooded the streets by the time I reached the castle town. I chose the quickest route back.

'What a lucky day! These turned out pretty neat. I'll give one to everyone' I caught myself smiling as I glanced at my paintings. 'I'll give the best to Masamune.'

I didn't realise I was strolling through the seedy part of the town until I heard a disturbing voice from nearby: 'That is a really nice smile you are wearing, fine lady!' I flinched. I didn't dare to look in the direction of the voice. 'Come, join us for a drink!'

My heart made a loud bang and I automatically lengthened my strides. I was unable to look back but I though I could hear them laughing. I was squeezing my work to my chest to calm myself down as I hurried towards the castle. It felt like I was miles away. I didn't slow down. 'Please, please, please, don't follow me!' Luckily, I didn't hear footsteps.

Out of the blue, I felt a powerful pull on my kimono and before even a sound could leave my mouth I felt a hand on it. I was thrown at the wall in a dark alleyway and I hit my head good. I lost my sense of direction for a couple moments. I couldn't see a thing.... I smelled the stench of alcohol and sweat... I felt a powerful body pushing me against the wall. I couldn't move or scream... My brain turned into full panic mode... I acted out of instinct and bit my attacker's hand. He let out a short scream and punched me hard in the face. I saw stars and my body went wobbly. I was barely conscious. The loud ringing of my ears was overpowered by the deafening banging of my heart. I tasted blood in my mouth. What is this? What is happening? I could only scream inside.

Then I felt a hot, alcohol heavy breath on my neck and a disgustingly calm and evil voice said: 'You are a frisky one, aren't you? Stop squirming or you'll get another one!'

Then the faceless man turned to someone else 'Hey, I could use a little help here! This lady needs some convincing!' He was laughing beastly millimeters away from my ears. I squeezed my eyes shut with horror and my tears started to flow. I realised what was going to happen to me...

I heard footsteps coming closer. I was pulled away from the wall and the hand clutching my mouth let go. 'Please, please, don't! Don't hurt me! I beg you!' I burst out in tears.

'Shhhh! Not so loud, beautiful!' Suddenly, there was something cold and pointy on my cheek, Slowly trailing down, it stopped against my throat. I was going to die... With his other hand, he was gripping my hands behind me. I was immobilized. I felt the two men sniffing me.

'What a lucky day! You don't see such exquisite women everyday.' He was nipping my earlobe with sharp teeth as he spoke. My tears were dripping from my chin.

'You are absolutely right! It's a pleasure!' The other man was combing his filthy fingers through my hair. With a violent move, he ripped my dress, exposing my chest. He groped me. I felt his drool on me. I tried to struggle and claw, but my captor was holding me so tightly, even the slightest movement caused me tremendous pain. I couldn't do anything but cry. My body stiffened with panic and my mind went blank. Fear was washing over my whole body as the man parted my legs. He was gripping my thighs forcefully but I could barely feel pain anymore. 'Hey, don't resist so hard! You're gonna enjoy this!' The other man pressed the knife harder against my throat.

They were going to rape me...

Suddenly, loud coughing and the sound of footsteps filled the dark alley. Those two monsters got interrupted. The grip on my thighs loosened for a split second. My survival instinct gave it one final push. This was my only chance... Without thinking I kicked the man in the stomach. I jumped up and knocked out my captor with my head. It hurt me as well. I felt dizzy but with the element of surprise I managed to free my hands. As I broke free I felt a sharp pain by my throat. The knife scratched across my neck. I was runing like there was no tomorrow. If they pursued me, there might have been no tomorrow. Because if they caught me again, they would kill me for sure. The world faded around me. Adrenaline and panic took the reins. I had no idea where, but I was running, as far away from here I could. I was running and running without thinking.

I was terrified to the core but I was alive...