Chapter 17: White's Talk

"Orange," White called, "let's talk."

Orange held her breath, fearing she was in trouble, especially so when White's Pearl, who had been standing next to her, made to leave the room, beckoning her own pearl to follow her, leaving just the two of them alone. She waited as White offered her hand and Orange climbed on, holding onto her thumb as she always did, her nervousness growing even though White continued to smile at her.

"Is something wrong?" Orange asked once she was about eye level with White, before adding a little meekly, "Did I do something bad?"

"It's about Pink Diamond." White informed and Orange's eyes widened.

"Is she alright? Did mother get hurt?"

White gave a shake of her head, "No, she's fine. What I mean is, I want you to stop referring to Pink Diamond as your mother."

Orange's eyebrows bunched up and her eyes conveyed her confusion to White, "W-what? But White-"

"Shush."

Orange's mouth snapped shut and she looked up at White with slight fear. She had never heard that tone used before and it alarmed her.

"You are a Diamond, a gem. We do not have families the way Pink's organics do. You may have been made with the material of one, but you aren't apart of them, even if Pink has insisted on treating you like one of them would. You are a gem, a Diamond, and if you want a family, you will find it with other Diamonds, but it is time to stop calling Pink your mother, because she isn't."

"But...But she created me."

"As I have created many gems, as do Yellow and Blue, and even Pink. Does that make them mothers as well?" White proposed and waited patiently as Orange tilted her head down, brow pinching in thought.

After a moment, Orange looked back up at her, "No. they're not mothers, they're Diamonds, who made gems to serve them. But I don't serve Pink."

"No, no you do not, Orange. Your only superiors are your fellow diamonds, until you have your own court and colonies."

"And then...and then only you'll be my superior?" White seemed pleased with her revelation, and it made Orange smile proudly.

"Yes, my pretty little gemling. Do you understand now why I have asked what I have?"

A part of Orange wished to tell White no, Pink had always been Mama to her, even if things were becoming more strained than usual between them. Blue said that would change after Pink's colony was finished. And yet, a larger part of her, one that Orange wasn't so sure she was ready to accept, agreed with White. While she had been perfectly fine calling Pink mama when she had first been made, it was now something Orange did sparsely, more of an appeasement for the older diamond than a personal want. If anything, Orange always felt an overwhelming sense of embarrassment when she referred to Pink this way in front of others, especially the other diamonds. It was simply another thing that she wanted to change. And changing was good, wasn't it? After another moments hesitation, Orange gave a sharp nod to White, "I understand. I won't do it anymore."

"That's a good girl."

[Updated and corrected 1/1/21]