Chapter 62: Know Your Place

This chapter was a little (a lot) late, and I apologize for that. Being sick with the worst flu I've had since I was a teenager, I haven't exactly been keeping track of the time, or were I am in editing these thing so they can get published. But better late than never.Enjoy the second day of the DiamondBomb3.

--------------------------

Moody didn't even begin to describe the Authority's youngest diamond as she all but loomed over the green scientist, folded arms and keen eyes watching every movement, radiating distain as the peridot mixed together yet another concoction of some unknown liquid, minerals and some form of antiemetic that would allow her to keep the swill she called medicine down. There, of course, had been accidents, and the antiemetic did little for the uncomfortable feeling in her gut, or the hours of churning she had to endure as her body attempted to process the horror cocktail she had been constructed.

Peridot had little sympathy for her complaints, perhaps because of the pressure she was under from Yellow Diamond's deadline, or simply because she didn't think much of her to begin with, the youngest Diamond wasn't sure. She didn't exactly make it easy to have any sort of rapport with, though Orange could recognize, through her own anger driven haze, she wasn't exactly being the ideal pleasant diplomat either. Not that she needed to be friendly with this peridot, she wouldn't be here much longer and Orange only needed to show up when asked so they could get this all over with and everything could get back to normal. After all, she had much greater things lying ahead than spending more time in a small, dingy makeshift laboratory, with an equally moody scientist.

But by the third day, Orange was ready to disregard her agreement to Blue, which she intended to keep despite her anger about, well, everything, and refuse anymore of these disgusting disasters in a glass.

"Here." Peridot held out the clear glass to her, the shocking blue liquid inside a far cry from the thick brown slush she had first been given.

"Yay!" Orange trilled with sarcastic fanfare, "Another drink."

"Your complaints do not make them any less designed for their purpose." Peridot said, voice a nasally monotone as she stared impassively at her young superior, having quickly become immune to such remarks, "I have added an adjusted amount for your form's current weight, height, and general energy needs. I have also added double of the antiemetic in order to..." she paused, lip curling back, "Cut down on your abdominal distress."

"Oh, well in that case-" Orange rolled her eyes, taking the glass, eyeing it as she swirled it about but making no attempt to actually drink it. "You know, you keep reworking this formula, but it isn't actually working. Maybe it's time you just do what I suggested in the first place."

Peridot groaned, one hand gripping her hip as the other rose to rub at the side of her head in clear agitation "Making augmented tablets is pointless. This new method will ensure-"

"Ensure that I throw up on some unfortunate clod's feet." The young gem nodded, her words dripping with sarcasm even as she gave the scientist an approving grin, raising the glass as if to toast to her, "Real regal. I'm sure White Diamond would love that party trick at my coronation."

"Perhaps if you weren't so abrasive!" Peridot exploded, eyebrows arching down as she bared her teeth, hands failing wildly in the air as she continued to yell and make gestures at the gem before her, "I know what I'm doing, and all you've done is complain no matter what I change!" Huffing, she took a breath, regaining most of her composure, "I can hardly work under these conditions."

"Then maybe they should have sent someone else." Orange grunted, thrusting the glass back at her, "Someone who listens Instead of pushing this sludge on them!"