Chapter 35: Yellow

"Pearl, is my ship ready?"

"Yes, my diamond." Pearl bowed her head, a self-satisfied grin on her face that went unnoticed as it generally did. "Everything is prepared for your departure to Homeworld."

"Good." Yellow stood up, head bent and eyes never leaving her portable display as she moved towards the doors. "Then we'll be leaving."

Yellow nearly made it through the doorway before she paused, her Pearl stopping to look up at her, and only catching on when she turned to look behind her towards the far side of the room.

On the other side of the room, staring out the glass, her face so close to it that the glass had visible lip impressions and every time she exhaled it fogged up with her breath, was Yellow's little unwanted ward. Orange was distracted, not paying attention to either of them as she watched various colored gems moving about the facility below.

"Orange," Yellow grunted, her lips turned down and eyes narrowed at the smaller gem. She made a motion towards the floor in front of her, "Come along."

Instead of the rush Yellow wanted, Orange only turned her head to give Yellow a curious look before turning back to the window.

Yellow's frown deepened, "Pearl," she barked, "Get her."

"Yes, My Diamond!" Pearl scurried over to grab Orange, struggling as she pulled the child to her feet, even as she fought against Pearl's efforts. Now that Orange could crawl, Pearl had struggled more and more to keep her in line, made worse as she grew in size and strength. Pearl feared when the young diamond would grow stronger, too strong for her to handle by herself, potientially before she developed enough reason to control herself and listen.

Standing her up on her feet, Pearl shuffled to get the younger gem to remain standing with her, Orange attempting to pull her back down with her to the floor as she allowed her weaker legs to give out and curl under her.

"Come on, my diamond! Stand up! Blue says you can do it, so why won't you-"

"Pearl!" Yellow Diamond shouted.

"She won't get up, my diamond. she refuses-"

"Then makeher," Yellow interrupted her once more, "She is tiny, and she can't fight you. Grab her and let's go or I will leave you both here."

Pearl knew it was an empty threat, if she attempted to leave anywhere without Orange Diamond, White Diamond had made it clear that she would be punished, and Pearl wasn't sure if it had been the fear of White's retaliation or the possibility of being disciplined herself becoming any kind of public knowledge, but Yellow had yet to allow Orange to be left behind. But empty threat or not, Pearl followed orders, placing an arm under Orange's legs and lifting her up, her face nearly changing color as she made a dash to keep up with her Diamond's longer strides.

Mentally cursing the stairs with every foul word she could think of, Pearl hopped down them one by one, for she knew if she tried to take them as she normally did, she and Orange Diamond would go tumbling down them together. Her predicament was only made worse when Orange began trying to pull on the hair that curled onto her cheeks.

"My Diamond! please don't do that, that hurts."

"Mmm mmm" Orange hummed. "No!"

"Thats right," Pearl nodded, shaking her hand loose at the same time, "No."

Ever since Orange had started speaking actual words, all of which consisted of 'No', 'Up' 'Hi', and 'Bye', once she started, she wouldn't stop. Pearl had figured out that if she responded to her before she could start repeating, she was generally in the clear.