Boom of Your Heart

Tina rounded the corner, her breath visible as she finished her morning jog.

It had been peaceful in winter around the Wharf; the brisk ocean breeze was refreshing. The occasional crunch of tires in the snow or a fellow early-bird taking out the trash were the only company she had as her sneakers crunched pleasantly beneath her. She had left while her family was still asleep, the sky just as dark now as it had been when she had risen. She paused in front of the door to her house, pulling out her phone to check her distance and speed.

No improvement. She tucked the device back into the pocket of her leggings; her thighs and feet frozen from the cold. She tried to pull out her keys, her fingers numb. They fell to the snow.

"Dammit." She sighed, bending to retrieve them.

"Tina?"

She snapped back up, her heart racing. Before she could stop herself she let out her familiar groan before turning. Almost like a scene from one of her novels Jimmy stood in a blue winter coat. His legs well defined and on display in skinny jeans that highlighted the muscled thighs. She felt her insides quiver. Something about him had always melted her reserve, her anger. She thought back to their years as on and off again boyfriend/girlfriend. She had every right to be angry, to be upset. He had been horrible to her. She watched him approach.

"Oh... h-hi Jimmy Junior." He stopped a few feet away, Tina was overly aware of her running nose, her wind bitten face, her bright red fingers holding freezing cold keys. "Fancy meeting you here... In front of my house... across the street from- you know what, never mind."

"L-look, Tina I wanted to apologize." She felt her breath catch as he ran a hand through his hair. "I know what I did was messed up but I-"

She turned her attention on him, looking at him for the first time since that Summer. His hair had darkened, he had more freckles. He really was the boy next door type. His lisp was now just a faint whisper that was endearing.

"I met someone before you left."

"That ballet lead?" Tina cocked her head, she was freezing. She needed this though. "I thought you dumped her-"

Jimmy stiffened. "Him, Tina. I dumped him... but... after that summer with you I realized... Tina, please don't tell my dad. I-I'm going to when I can. But, Tina I'm gay."

She felt her insides twist. All those years, all that time she had spent with him. All that love and devotion and obsession. Was it her? Had she done something to- She shook her head.

"I won't tell, Jimmy. Are you and he-"

"Oh no. We broke up last year." He kicked at the snow. "I guess I should have known earlier but I was so afraid to be a stereotype, you know? The gay dancing kid." He motioned across the air with his hands. "Of what my dad would think. Of hurting you. I know I was a terrible boyfriend to you, I guess I sort of resented dating you. Not that it was your fault. It was mine." He rubbed his arm, looking at her as though for the first time. "You look good, Tina. You look really good. I-I know you're cold. I just had to tell you that. I had to explain. I felt really bad for hurting you."

"Thanks Jimmy." Tina inserted her key, opened the door. "For what it's worth, I hope you're happy and that your dad understands."

His whole body hitched, as though her words had slapped him. His eyes watered though he tried to hide it. "Thanks Tina. I'll see you."

"Yeah. I'll see you." She watched as he crossed the street, grocery bag swinging from his hand. "Still has a butt that won't quit." She whispered before closing the door, making her way to the bathroom.