Heart of Stone

"I know, I know-" Tina paced on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant, ignoring Gene's face pressed against the glass. "But I don't have- Okay, but we-" She stopped, breathing deeply, "LOOK! I get that my dead line is coming up." She all but shouted, "but my dad is really sick and I don't think I can pound out a good ending for this book - no, stop giggling. Stop it."

She sighed as her publishing agent muttered through the phone. Zeke was holding a tray of food at Jimmy Pesto's, Jimmy Junior taking orders for the outside patrons. Tina's gaze slid from thin, lithe Jimmy to thick Zeke. She watched him, just for a moment - a second really - as he handed out food to the table. His arms were so well defined, his hair slicked back the best it would be. She noticed the half sleeve peeking out from under the rolled sleeve of the black button up shirt he was wearing. She wanted to see the rest of it.

He had matured. No, she reprimanded herself. He had always been mature. Between his shows at the old folks home for his grandmother, accepting his dad's new girlfriend(s), even the stunts at school and his odd way of befriending the teachers.

She watched as he turned to serve the table in front of her, his eyes rising to meet hers as he placed the dishes down.

Tina spun quickly, avoiding looking at him. She felt some combination of warmth and horror fill her. She shook her head, pacing again just to look busy. To look like she was doing something other than watching him - which was exactly what she had bee-

"Oh my God." She whispered.

"What? What?!" Her agent all but screamed.

"I've got it."

"It?" The phone cackled. "What's 'it'? Tina we really need-"

"I've got it, don't worry." She ended the call, striding into the restaurant. "I'll be in my room guys. I'll be back down for my shift." She paused as she hung her apron up, "Actually, if I'm not down for my shift come and get me. I'll be writing."

"Oooh." Linda clapped, "So exciting. An actual book being written in our actual house."

"How come she gets to write and it's 'exciting?" Gene complained, "But when I play 20 minutes of my commercial jingle it's 'annoying' and 'Gene, turn that off'?"

Tina rolled her eyes as she walked around to the door of her house.

"Ey!"

She felt herself bristle as she released the door knob and turned around to see Zeke jogging across the street, apron still on.

"Hi, Zeke."

"Hey girl." He grinned wide.

It did something stupid to her chest area. She realized she understood why Louise slapped men sometimes. With horror she realize Louise slapped men she liked. She swung her gaze up to Zeke's face.

"I saw you on the phone earlier. Looked like you were avoiding me, so I thought I'd come over here and bug you."

"Zeke." She growled, fists curled. "If I was avoiding you why would you come over?"

He shrugged, "I just like to annoy you. Always have. You're so damn cute when you're mad." He grinned wider, his eyes crinkled, his cheeks folded into smile lines.

She had the urge to kiss him. The thought was terrifying.

"You get a little red, your narrow your eyes like- Yep! Like that right there." He looked her up and down, "Haha, your whole stance is perfect. That's the Tina I remember from school."

"But I'm not the Tina from school, Zeke." She wanted to scream. She didn't.

"No." He turned serious, his smile fading, "You aren't. You've grown a lot, and I can honestly confess some of the things I wanted to do with you back then don't begin to compare to what I want to do to you now." He leaned forward, "For you. To you. Same thing."

Tina glared, putting a hand to his chest, pushing him away. The fact her heart began tripping over itself when the solid muscle backed away easily at her touch meant nothing. The guy was a brick damn house.

"Back off, Zeke." She hissed, her eyes catching his.

Brown, like hers, but so much... more too. He put his hands up, his rolled sleeved stretching tight over his muscular arms. His eyes glinted with humor when she met his gaze again.

"Oh-kay Tina." He stepped back as she inched off the wall, giving her room to move around him and to the door. "But I know you want a piece of this pie, and I dont know why it would hurt to explore this shared charisma, girl!"

She shook her head, staying mute as she cracked the door open, sliding in. "Goodbye, Zeke."

"See ya girl." His deep voice and unique accent replaying in her head as she slowly crept up the stairs.

Tina let her bedroom door creak close, sitting delicately at her desk. She felt... different. Her body didn't feel like her own - her brain was fuzzy, her limbs felt weightless. Her laptop opened itself, her fingers tapped across the keys at an inhuman pace as they made words at a fever-pitch.

Why shouldn't I date Zeke? She mused, her mind not focused on the story she was writing. We're okay friends. He's interested. I've been in a... her hands paused. Her brow furrowed. She took off her glasses, closing her eyes and sighing.

Everything was a mess right now. Her life, her book, her romantic situation, her own personal hangups. Her family.

The thought caught in her chest, clogging in her throat. Her eyes stung and her nose burned with unshed tears.

Dad.

The sob escaped her mouth before she realized she was crying. Hurriedly she clamped a hand over her mouth, drawing her knees to her chest and finally she let herself sob.

~*~*~

"M'naww." Linda pressed a hand to her chest, the other loosely covering her mouth. "My Tina."

Bob took a wavering step back, turning and making his way back to the living room. Linda followed slowly, sitting beside her withered husband and gingerly taking his hand into hers.

He leaned his head back against the couch, his chest heaving. "I'm so tired, Lin. I can't... do this."

"Oh yes you can, mister." She scolded. "Its hard right now, but we've been through hard things. And all the kids are here, and their friends. And... and you." She whispered, as though the words would break the moment. "You're still here. Fighting. It was worse a few months ago. Remember, Bobby?"

He sighed, putting his head on Linda's shoulder. "I do. I remember." He kissed her cheek. "Thank you, Lin."

"Don't you stop fighting, Bobby." Linda responded with sternness in her tone. "Don't you give up. I cant handle these kids without you."

He chuckled, his voice drifting with his consciousness. "I won't." After a while, "I love you."

Linda felt her skin prick as her vision blurred. "I love you too, Bobby."