Heart of Gold

"Uhg." Louise moaned from the couch, peeking around the dark room. "UHHGG." She reiterated, smacking a sleeping Rudy upside the head.

"YES!?" His bleary eyes swept around the room in drowsy alarm.

"Go to bed." Louise growled, flipping through the local channels. "You'll get a cramp laying on the floor like that."

Rudy signed, pulling himself up, grabbing her hand in his and sitting in the crook of her knees. She snuggled down into him as he lay against her back, tucking her arms into his.

"I was so scared." He whispered, his head tucked against her neck. "And helpless..." his grip around her tightened.

Louise remained silent though she returned his squeeze, sighing contentedly as she pushed herself further into his warmth.

"I'm glad it wasn't worse." He continued, his voice shakey. "Seeing you strapped to those machines and all the tests..." Louise pretended she didn't notice his tears and his repressed shudders. "I-I want to do something good for your mom especially. So I used a little of the money we saved for the wedding to book them a cruise."

Louise stiffened for a moment, then laughed something warm flooding through her chest, making it feel too tight.

"The only reason I didn't ask was because it was such a spur of the moment decision." He kissed her shoulder. "Don't be mad?"

"No." Louise's eyes blinked slow between the body heat of Rudy and the soft glow of the television. "This is why I love you." She whispered.

~*~*~

Tina closed her bedroom door slowly to avoid it squeaking and ruining the moment. Her heart was full and empty simultaneously- seeing her sister so lucky in love made Tina's selfish desires and wants surface in an ugly way, however, seeing Louise and Rudy in such a tender way had been something straight from one of her novels. She tucked herself back into bed checking her phone.

One missed voicemail.

Curiously she called her message service.

'Tina!'

She grinned at her mother's voice.

'We'll be back home by friday! Your dad has been given the go ahead! Isn't that great news!' The was some fuzzy voice in the background. 'Oh! Oh I forgot we're in different time zones right now. Sorry baby, have a good night! We love you!' A series of sloppy air kisses end the call.

Tina couldn't help the ear to ear grin; between her sister and her mother she fell asleep with a smile on her lips.

~*~*~

"What?" Tina rubbed her eyes, reaching for her glasses and running a hand through her hair.

She squinted at her phone, her eyes automatically looking for the time.

5:20

She groaned, throwing an arm over her face as she fell back into bed. She was tired. Bone weary. She did not want to workout today.

The phone vibrated again. Curiously she checked the screen, her palms sweating as Zekes name popped up with the new text alert. Tina sat, swiping the screen to unlock it.

Downstairs waiting T-bird. Let's get this workout going.

She flew out of bed, dressing quickly, throwing her hair up and stepping outside as quietly as possible. Already the day promised to be hot; the crisp morning air smelling of a warm, salty day. Business would be booming if the planned it right. And they should. Tina knew Louise had a sharp, cunning mind for making money. She didn't doubt get sister haff a clever plan for a beach located business in the height of summer.

"There you are!" Zeke grinned, as usual.

Though unlike usual Tina could feel her heart having palpatations, "Sorry for the wait. I was going to try and skip today-"

"Uh-uh, girl." Zeke winked, flexing, "I'm not giving you a chance to forget about me yet." He chuckled, "plus having a beautiful woman running beside me distracts other joggers away from my flab." His hand lowered to his stomach, his grin shifted to something slightly more uneasy.

Tina slapped his shoulder, "Dont be ridiculous. If anything they're admiring-" She choked on her next words, her voice getting stuck in her throat when she realized what she'd been about to say.

'Admiring you like I do.' A pang of jealousy flared in her gut, twisting.

"Admiring me?" Zeke snorted derisively as they walked across the street to their usual jogging spot. "I don't think so. But I've been focusing on my core and abs lately so it shouldn't be a sore spot for long." His voice was confident again as he pulled off his shirt.

Tina couldn't breathe. Holy shit this man was beautiful. In the few days she hasn't seen his midsection he had firmed up, the skin taut over his still to be defined abs. Obliques drawing her gaze to-

She snapped her eyes away, pulling from him in a sudden jog, nearly running. It felt like fleeing. Her heart calmed to a steady beat as she heard Zeke pull up alongside her, his steps less sure than normal. She wouldn't think about that

Not about him. Not that way. Not yet. She begged herself.

~*~*~

"Mom!" Gene was the first at the door, scooping Linda into his arm and hefting her around.

"Oh, Gene!" Linda wiped a tear from her eye.

"You look so tired." Louise, as always, getting straight to it. "Go inside, we'll manage the luggage and Dad."

"Who's in the shop right now?" Bob yelled from his seat as he struggled to stand.

"Tina and Rudy, Dad." Louise shouted back, waving her mom on as she made her way to Bob. "Zeke's been volunteering."

"Heard about your ulcer." Bob commented as she pulled him to his feet, reaching around for his cane and handing that to him as well.

"Heard about your arm." Louise shot back, her eyes dropping to the bandages.

Bob sighed deeply as Gene slipped past them and out the door for their bags. "I'll have to do a lot of physical therapy. Even then I'll never have full use of my arm again."

A heavy weight settled between them.

"Oh. I bought a cart." Louise grunted as Bob leaned heavily against her up the stairs. "We sell fries and drinks. With different toppings; cheese, garlic, whatever. It's already paid for itself. I was thinking during winter we could do hot drinks and churros or something."

Bob sighed as he leaned back on the couch. He looked better, Louise decided. Still too skinny but he had filled put, his skin wasn't pale and sunken anymore.

Her heart twisted. Her hero, her Daddy. He had been so sick.

"Dad?"

"Hmm?" He'd fallen asleep on the couch in those few minutes.

"I... I shouldn't tell you this, but Rudy and I have a surprise. We were gunna save it for when you're a little more rested." She sat beside him, talking his hand in hers. Hands that were once so large and powerful now frail in comparison. She shook her head. "We ran a fundraiser. For the expenditures of your surgery. A-and we used some of our wedding money. We got you guys cruises. They're next month, to give you some recovery time." Louise sucked in a deep breath. "And... Dad?"

~*~*~

"Hey T-bird! What you doing in Pesto's?"

"You're getting off soon. I figured we could spend some time at the pier."

Zeke threw down the cloth he was using to wash the tables. "Well hot damn!" His grin made his eyes dance. "You're asking me on a date!"