eleven

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

EIGHT LETTERS

CHAPTER ELEVEN[ A N N A B E T H ]

CHAPTER ELEVEN
[ A N N A B E T H ]

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

THE NEW CIVIL war had begun.

Leo had somehow escaped his fall unharmed. Annabeth saw him ducking from portico to portico, blasting fire at the giant eagles swooping down on him. Roman Demigods tried to chase him, tripping over piles of cannonballs and dodging tourists, who screamed and ran in circles.

Tour guides kept yelling, It's just a reenactment! Though they didn't sound sure. The Mist could only do so much to change what mortals saw.

In the middle of the courtyard, a full-grown elephant — could that be Frank? — rampaged around the flagpoles, scattering Roman warriors. Jason stood about fifty yards away (he wasn't knocked out, so Annabeth guessed Natalia didn't have to kill him), sword-fighting with a stocky Centurion whose lips were stained cherry red, like blood. A wannabe vampire, or maybe a Kool-Aid freak?

As Annabeth watched, Jason yelled, "Sorry about this, Dakota!"

He vaulted straight over the Centurion's head like an acrobat and slammed the hilt of his gladius into the back of the Roman's head. Dakota crumpled.

"Jason!" Annabeth called.

He scanned the battlefield until he saw her.

She pointed to where the Argo II was docked. "Get the others aboard! Retreat!"

"What about you?" he called.

"Don't wait for me!"

Annabeth bolted off before he could protest.

She had a hard time maneuvering through the mobs of tourists. Why did so many people want to see Fort Sumter on a sweltering summer day? But Annabeth quickly realized the crowds had saved their lives. Without the chaos of all these panicked mortals, the Romans would have already surrounded their outnumbered crew.

Annabeth dodged into a small room that must have been part of the garrison. She tried to steady her breathing. She imagined what it would have been like to be a Union soldier on this island in 1861. Surrounded by enemies, dwindling food and supplies, no reinforcements coming.

Some of the Union defenders had been children of Athena. They'd hidden an important map here — something they didn't want falling into enemy hands. If Annabeth had been one of those Demigods, where would she have put it?