fifteen

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

EIGHT LETTERS

CHAPTER FIFTEEN[ N A T A L I A ]

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
[ N A T A L I A ]

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

THE FIRST THING Natalia said after meeting Hercules was, "Well, he's a dick."

She'd grown up on stories about the guy, whether it be from her textbooks or that one Disney movie (she thought it would've been hilarious if those women popped up and started singing bless my soul, Herc was on a roll). And then she got to Camp Half-Blood, where even more stories of him were shared. Chiron and her even talked about him training Hercules, and she was completely and utterly fascinated.

He didn't live up to her expectations. Especially when she remembered what had happened between him and Zoë Nightshade.

Plus, his guide that he had did not help them at all with the snakes and bugs on the island. Thanks, Hercules.

"If this is a magic island," Piper grumbled, "why couldn't it be a nice magic island?"

"Nothing's nice when you're a Demigod," Natalia said, ducking under a tree branch. "Trust me."

They tromped up a hill and down into a heavily wooded valley, careful to avoid the black-and-red-striped snakes sunning themselves on the rocks. Mosquitoes swarmed over stagnant ponds in the lowest areas. The trees were mostly stunted olives, cypress, and pines. The chirring of the cicadas and the oppressive heat reminded Natalia of summer days in New Jersey.

So far they hadn't found any river.

"We could fly," Jason suggested again.

"We might miss something," Piper said. "Besides, I'm not sure I want to drop in on an unfriendly God. What was his name? Etch-a-Sketch?"

"Achelous." Jason was trying to read the guidebook while they walked, so he kept running into trees and stumbling over rocks. "Says here he's a Potamus."

"He's a hippopotamus?"

Natalia shook her head. "A Potamus is a river God. Achelous used to be a spirit of a river in Greece."

"Since we're not in Greece, let's assume he's moved," Piper said. "Doesn't bode well for how useful that book is going to be. Anything else?"

"Says Hercules fought him one time," Jason offered.

Natalia scoffed. "Well, that's a surprise."