nineteen

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

EIGHT LETTERS

CHAPTER NINETEEN[ A N N A B E T H ]

CHAPTER NINETEEN
[ A N N A B E T H ]

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

ANNABETH THOUGHT SHE knew pain. She had fallen off the lava wall at Camp Half-Blood. She'd been stabbed in the arm with a poison blade on the Williamsburg Bridge. She had even held the weight of the sky on her shoulders.

But that was nothing compared to landing hard on her ankle.

She immediately knew she'd broken it. Pain like a hot steel wire jabbed its way up her leg and into her hip. The world narrowed to just her, her ankle, and the agony.

She almost blacked out. Her head spun. Her breath became short and rapid.

No, she told herself. You can't go into shock.

She tried to breathe more slowly. She lay as still as possible until the pain subsided from absolute torture to just horrible throbbing.

Part of her wanted to howl at the world for being so unfair. All this way, just to be stopped by something as common as a broken ankle?

She forced her emotions back down. At Camp, she'd been trained to survive in all sorts of bad situations, including injuries like this.

She looked around her. Her dagger had skittered a few feet away. In its dim light she could make out the features of the room. She was lying on a cold floor of sandstone blocks. The ceiling was two stories tall. The doorway through which she'd fallen was ten feet off the ground, now completely blocked with debris that had cascaded into the room, making a rockslide. Scattered around her were old pieces of lumber — some cracked and desiccated, others broken into kindling.

Stupid, she scolded herself. She'd lunged through that doorway, assuming there would be a level corridor or another room. It had never occurred to her that she'd be tumbling into space. The lumber had probably once been a staircase, long ago collapsed.

She inspected her ankle. Her foot didn't appear too strangely bent. She could feel her toes. She didn't see any blood. That was all good.

She reached out for a piece of lumber. Even that small bit of movement made her yelp.

The board crumbled in her hand. The wood might be centuries old, or even millennia. She had no way of knowing if this room was older than the shrine of Mithras, or if — like the labyrinth — the rooms were a hodgepodge from many eras thrown randomly together.

"Okay," she said aloud, just to hear her voice. "Think, Annabeth. Prioritize."

She remembered a silly wilderness survival course Grover had taught her back at Camp. At least it had seemed silly at the time. First step: Scan your surroundings for immediate threats.