Chapter 10

Percy let the door swing shut again quietly behind him, taking a few tentative steps towards Bucky until he was standing barely a metre away from him. His eyes flickered over his face, drinking the sight of him in, while the other supersoldier did the same, the two of them looking shocked, yet in awe of the sudden appearance of the other. The familiarity and gentle recognition left the silence comfortable rather than tense however.

"So you-" Percy blurted out, at the same time James started off with,

"How did you-" They both stopped, sharing matching, nervous smiles. "You go first." He finally prompted gently.

Percy licked his lips, not tearing his eyes away for one moment. "Have you been hiding here the whole time?" He continued slowly. When Bucky nodded his confirmation, he carded his fingers through his hair, exhaling deeply. He should've known. After everything that had gone down because of the Accords and the UN bombing... Then again, who would've expected him to take refuge in a country where he had been the number one suspect in the killing their king?

"I've been in cryo since Steve found me." He explained.

He blanched at that, feeling the colour drain from his face and his eyes widen. "What?" He asked, unable to keep the incredulous tone from his voice.

His face softened and he gave him an attempt at a reassuring smile. "It was my choice, don't worry."

"You-Why?" His eyebrows drew together in a plainly stunned expression.

"You know what it's like." His smile turned sadder. "Having your will stripped from you entirely. Turned into a weapon when only a few words are spoken. Used without a second thought by people who don't care about anything except end results. You know how it feels." Percy's eyes dropped at that, hands tugging at the sleeves of his hoodie anxiously. "So you understand why I wanted them to keep me under. To keep them safe. At least until they found a way to undo my training."

Percy paused at that, mind whirring with thought. He understood, he did. But still, cryo of all things? He could remember how horrible, how terrifying going under had been each time. And he did it willingly? "Wait-if you're out of cryo now, then does that mean-"

"I don't know." He said, shoulders shrugging half heartedly. "They didn't tell me anything about it just yet... But we can hope, right?" They both went quiet for a little while again, Percy lost in his thoughts. If they had somehow found out how to reverse the brainwashing, did that mean it could maybe help him too? "I believe it's my turn."

"Oh right, right, of course."

"How did you get here of all places?"

Percy hesitated at that. "It's... It's a long story."

"I've been in cryo for who knows how long. I think I've got the time."

It was... weird how easygoing and gentle James was being. The lines of tension that always stretched across his shoulders had disappeared, and the hard scowl that usually marred his face was replaced by soft smiles and barely visible laughter lines. It was kind of bizarre, but he actually enjoyed seeing him like this. Seeing him so at peace, not fighting for his life or as an emotionless soldier. He liked the sight of his ex-mentor being happy.

"I guess... It started with S.H.I.E.L.D-or Hydra-hell, I don't even know anymore. But they sent Tony Stark after me." A troubled frown settled on the Winter Soldier's face, but he didn't interrupt him. "He and a group of soldiers broke into my apartment one night, so I obviously fled and bumped into Wanda on the way. Uhm... Quite a lot of things happened after that, and she ended up helping me escape from Stark. She and the others brought me here and Steve told me that I'm apparently under their protection now."