Chapter I Ezekiel Tobit

Ezekiel Tobit is my name. I was left alone in front of the church when I was just ten months old by an unknown, leaving me with just a piece of blood stained cloth and a wound on my neck that is now etched into a scar. I am fifteen years old now, the scar has made me known as a cursed child making people make name of me and calling me a devil. I have a pair of dark eyes that is piercing, a slightly pointy nose, an untrimmed black hair that almost touches my shoulder, it is also fringed that it mostly covered my pale innocent and snubby looking face that had made people despised me. They always avoided me, impaling me with their hurtful glares every time they see me.

I sat at the second line of pews in the first column, staring at the peaceful image of Jesus Christ in the cross. A girl, a year older than me, kneeled on the pew rack adjacent to me, she wore a black blouse and a black long skirt down to her knee. A dejected black veil is covering her face as she seemed to be praying solemnly in her seat with both eyes closed.

After her solemn prayer, the girl glanced at me, her eyes were filled with grief and torment. I can't fully see her face but the tension in the air tells me that it is etched with melancholy and uncertainty. I saw tender beads of teardrops running down her cheeks onto the floor.

Sympathetically, I wrapped my arms around her to console her. I was completely oblivious of what I'm doing, my body moves on its own. I was shocked by her reaction, she buried her face into my chest without hesitation that we're both strangers from each other. My heart skipped a beat, what is this surging sensation I'm feeling? It soothes me, her hug comforts me. Her tense shoulders seemed to relax a bit.

"Thank you," her voice was muffled by my black shirt.

I held her in my arms a bit longer before I released the weeping stranger from my embrace. I can see her green eyes staring into mine amidst the black veil that covers her face, we locked eyes until she rolled her eyes into my neck, she quickly stood up, staggering from her feet. She was awestruck as I was as astonished as she is. Dread crossed my heart as I see her reaction. I didn't even notice my hand crawling its way to my neck until then I realized. The scar that is etched on my neck, the skull scar that is feared by everyone. The scar that isolates me from people, the scar that made me alone and made me feel lonely, so lonely in solitude.

"De-de-demon," she stammered as she ran with her feet towards the open door of the church, the people inside started to look towards my direction with loathing in their eyes. I moved my gaze away from the running girl and slouched back on my seat. I can hear murmurs from the distant.

I was all used to this kind of situation, I have painfully and forcibly accepted my twisted fate.

I was just thinking. Why did she run? Isn't it ironic? Shouldn't she have stayed inside instead? The usual reactions of people who see demons are to go to the church, grab a rosary, a holy water, but why did she run? Beats me, she must have gone out of her senses that she couldn't think straight. Oh, fool! Who would have wanted to stay in a place you call the place of God when it is lurked by the evil that you run away with.

I sat there motionless, thinking deep into my foggiest thoughts. A heavy pat from my shoulder pulled me out from my nightmarish reverie.

"What's up buddy?!" It was the husky voice of my best friend, Judiel, the strongest demi-angel, or should I say the most talented half-angel in the academy that he seemed to be levelled with the guardian angels.

He sat beside me, spread his legs wide open and placed his elbows lazily on the pew's rest. He smiled at me amiably that I forcibly smiled back, smiling awkwardly with a mixture of sadness creeping into the sides of my face. He looked me into the eyes with his steely blue eyes. I moved my gaze away hesitantly. He was as tall as me, standing 5'7, he has a stylishly blonde hair, an angelic handsome face and a buoyant aura. Well, all half angels look pretty and angelic.