Chapter 5

~Three Days Later~

"They're inseparable... It's odd; Kage has never shown progress before" Mrs.Banks said.

"Yes, I understand that, Mrs.Banks, but if he is making progress then we shouldn't move him," Ms.Miller said.

"Katherine, we have to move him into the men's ward soon anyway, he's already 19"

"Actually she's right; if we separate them too soon they could both spiral," The psychiatrist said as he rolled his pen between his fingers.

"Just call miss Daniels into my office, have Mr.Baker wait outside while I talk to her," He asked and sent the nurses out of his office.
~~
Erika's p.o.v.

Kage and I sat outside the door of the psychiatrist. Mrs.Hardass (Banks) told us to wait until he was ready for us.

"Why do they have to make us wait here and miss lunch?" Kage asked and looked at the clock on the wall.

"It'll be okay, it could be really important," I said. I could feel Kage squeeze my hand out of anxiety and fear.

"What if they are moving us to different wards?" He asked not looking away from the wall. Kage and I decided not to label ourselves as a relationship, we just comforted each other in times of need. Kage's favourite was holding my hand when he was nervous, giving it a light squeeze when he needed to.

"They won't do that, you are still a teen," I said to reassure him. Kage just nodded and looked down.

"Miss Daniels" I heard Ms.Millers soft voice say as she left the office with Mrs.Hardass behind her. I stood up and walked into the room, my hand falling back to its side as it left Kage's. I closed the door and sat down in one of the chairs.

"Hello Erika, I'm Dr.Carp. I'll just be asking you a few questions today" Dr.Carp pulled out a file that had my high school yearbook photo on it.

"So it says you were registered as a pathological liar, you won't be lying to me today, right?" He asked and leaned back in his chair. I gave him a short 'no' for an answer.

"And why is that?"

"Because I don't lie... my mother does," I said. He clasped his hands together and placed them on the desk.

"Well since you are not a liar, are you aware Kage Elton Baker?" I nodded, "And are you aware of his... record?" He asked me with a concerned look like he thought I was stupid.

"I don't judge him based on that, he is a good person once you get to know him," I said honestly. Dr.Carp bit his lip and nodded.

"Well, I'm sure his past girlfriend thought he was a great guy too..."

"Okay and..? What are you trying to say?"

"Has he ever physically harmed or threatened you?"

"No!" I yelled, standing out of my seat. Dr.Carp put his hands up in defense.

"I was only asking, I am sorry if I offended you, Miss. I want you to tell me what you're doing to Kage... why is he suddenly progressing?"

"I don't know, all he said was that he just can't hurt me," I said, sitting back down and crossing my arms.

"Why can't he hurt you?" He asked me and started writing stuff down in his journal.

"I. Don't. Know. He just can't hurt me. He can't hit me, yell at me, nothing" I tried explaining.

"Is he scared of you?"

"No, and I'm not scared of him"

"You understand that he almost killed two people and injured 17 since he has been in our care?"

"Yes, but how many have been injured since I got here?"

"Well, zero but-"

"Exactly. Now, why do you think that is?" I asked, and he sat there in complete awe, not able to answer my question right away.

"Well he honestly isn't sure but... we have our guesses.... but uh- that's all the time I have for you today; please send Kage in on your way out," He said and scribbled in his journal.
~~
Kage's p.o.v.

I sat in the waiting area. Tapping my foot against the floor, my hands clasped tightly together as I listened to the ticking of the clock. When Erika walked out, I stood up happily.

"He told me to send you in," She said, hugging my waist. I nodded and patted her back.

"Wait for me, okay?" I asked her, and she nodded, walking over and sitting down in the chair I was set in. I walked in and stood behind the chair, looking at Dr.Carp.

"Go ahead and sit down, Kage," He told me and I sat down slowly. I'm not going to trust a single word this douche bag says.

"Now Erika was telling me that you two are very close..." Dr.Carp started, clearly wanting to talk about something else.

"Yeah, I'd say we are," I said with an emotionless frown on my face at all times.

"Why is she so special?" He asked bluntly.

"She just is" I answered, and he nodded, writing things down.

"And why haven't you had any uh... 'episodes' since you met her?"

"She doesn't like it when I get violent" I heard him click the recorder that was under his desk off.

"Well we don't like it when you get violent either, Kage; no one does... I'm sure Devyn Clark didn't like it when you got violent.." He said, sliding a picture of my ex-girlfriend towards me. I looked away and crossed my arms.

"It's not like that with Erika... I don't want to hurt her" I said, and he put the picture back into my file.

"So you wanted to hurt everyone else?"

"No! I don't want to hurt them either its just... Erika helps me" I said, trying to think of the right way to explain something u don't even understand myself.

"Erika helps you control your outbursts?"

"Yes, exactly!" I nodded, happy someone finally understood what I was trying to say.

"What does she do or say that helps you control your anger?"

"Nothing its just... her," I said, realizing he wanted to write something other than 'the boy is madly in love with a girl and refuses to hit her.'

"Okay well Mr.Baker, I want you to know that what is about to happen is not a personal issue. It is just a test" I got worried and sat up. Two men walked in, grabbing me by my arms, and dragging me out. I could see two other security guards taking her away but I couldn't hear her making any noise which worried me.
--
They threw me in solitary... I haven't been in here in months.

It was a cold, dark, stone room with two cameras in the back corner and a slot on the door that slides open from the outside. I sat on the bench and tapped my foot against the cold floor. This room is pure hell...

"This is fucked up! You hear me?!" I screamed at the camera closest to me. I could hear it zooming in on me but I just rolled my eyes and sat back down. They wanted a reaction out of me; they put me in here to see how my mental state without Erika is. That's something I don't even know. I don't want to give them a reaction because I don't know what they'll do to me or her if I do...