Chapter 23

Kage's POV

After a while, they believed what I was saying about Jess and they let me go. The first thing I did was find Ms.Miller although she probably isn't very happy with me but oh well. I need to talk to her.

I went to check the nurse's section first and luckily she was there, handing out files to new nurses. She froze as she looked up and saw me.

"Kage, what do you need?" She asked and finished handing out the files. I didn't know what to say. There were other people here so I kind of just looked at her and she got the hint. Ms.Miller nodded and motioned for me to follow her as she walked out. She walked into an elevator and waited for me but I stopped outside.

"Where are we going?" I said, confused.

"There are no cameras in elevators." She explained and proceeded to press the button to the bottom floor and then the top as I stepped in.

"What happened to Erika? Please be honest with me... I'm so sorry." She sighed and looked around the elevator, collecting her thoughts.

"Nurse Thompson attacked her after she left your room. She tried to make it look like you did it but no one told her that cameras were in the rooms." I looked away as the anger boiled up inside of me, my breathing becoming heavy. 

"Is she okay?" I asked, clenching my teeth. 

"She's recovering from some broken ribs and her face looks pretty bad but she'll be okay."

"Can I see her?" 

Why would Erika want to see me?

"There are security guards watching over her right now so I don't think that's a very good idea." I nodded, sighing in defeat and leaning against the wall. When the elevator stopped at the bottom floor, the doors barely opened before Ms.Miller hit the close button.

"What's gonna happen to Jess?" 

"She's already being fired but since you told the psychiatrist what was going on between you two, she is being charged and will be completely prohibited from working in any sort of medical center." Hearing her say that did make me calm down a bit knowing that she was gone for good and was never coming back.

A few moments of silence passed before Ms.Miller smiled.

"She broke her ankle... Erika broke Jessica's ankle." I broke my frown and smiled at the wall only to return to the stern expression I had a few moments ago. 

"I can't say I didn't mean to hit her because I knew what I was doing... I want to get my anger under control because I never want to hit her again. I will NOT do this again." I looked up, my eyes meeting hers. 

"What do you think will help you?"

"I need to see Erika," She sighed and hit another button.

"She doesn't want to see you but I'll do what I can... you have to promise that you will try to get better," I nodded.

"I promise."

**

Erika's POV

I sat up in my hospital bed, playing a card game with Spier... well Chris. 

"No, you have to put this card down and then draw one," He said, sitting at the edge of my bed trying to teach me. 

"I'm completely lost," I chuckled. Some time passed with just us playing cards.

"So... has Baker ever done this before?" 

"Played cards?" 

"No... I meant.." He trailed off, pointing to his cheek to show he was talking about him hitting me.

"Oh... no," I mumbled and shook my head. He just nodded slightly and looked down at his cards.

Spier had been asking me all these personal questions about Kage that I didn't really want to answer. I just wanted to use this time to forget about what happened but he keeps bringing it back up.

"Do you think he really loved you?"

"I think he still loves me."

"Oh yeah? I just thought people didn't hit the ones they loved," He sounded angry... it was making me uncomfortable.

"You don't understand. Kage isn't like a normal person."

"So... you're defending him?" He gave me a 'wtf' kind of look.

"I don't want to talk about this anymore," I said. He just nodded and stared at his cards. I set mine down and looked at the wall as he got up.

"I have to clock out soon anyway," He sighed, not looking at me. Spier gathered up all his cards and just left. I sat there silently until a different guard walked in. This guy didn't speak to me, look at me, anything. He just sat down and stared at the door.

I leaned back against the bed and closed my eyes to try and fall asleep but I had no luck. As I lay there with my eyes shut, I tried to forget about Kage and Jess. I just need some peace and time away from my thoughts. All I see are flashbacks of Jess's heel kicking me and Kage pushing me back onto a desk as we were arguing.

I had no idea how to feel about it. I was angry but... at the same time, I know Kage has issues and part of me knew this was going to happen at some point whether he knew what he was doing or not.