Chapter 3

Sitting across from the handsome man Zinna felt herself get nervous. Of course, she went on dates but none of them looked like David. None of them reeked the same amount of confidence David walked around with. Shit none of them had her nervous like he did.

She looked up from her menu to see him biting his lip at her while focusing his eyes at her face. She felt her face heat up from embarrassment. His eyes were like lasers, wherever he looked it felt like her skin was burning.

"You see something you like?" Zinna smirked teasing him because she caught him staring.

"Actually I do." Zinna felt like she wanted to sink because she didn't expect that answer from him. She felt her cheeks heat up and she couldn't control it.

"Where ya confidence at huh?" Zinna couldn't even come up with a comeback. She let out a sigh of relief noticing that waiter made his way to the table.

"What can I get you?"

"Can I have the jerk chicken with rice and peas and plantains on the side." Since she has been to New York she had yet to test authentic Caribbean food.

"I'll have the same." The waiter grabbed the menus before walking away.

"So tell me about yourself Mr.David?" She asked as she drunk her lemonade.

"Well my name is David, I'm 26 years old, I'm single and don't have any kids. " Zinna laughed at him realizing what he did.

"I see what you did." Zinna replied still laughing on how he tried to slip that in.

"I own a clothing line called East and I was raised by my mother. Who were you raised by?" That question caused Zinna to choke on her lemonade.

"Nobody, I was in foster care." As she got older she didn't care if people knew she was in foster care because it made her stronger as a person.

"Oh I'm sorry."

"Don't be." Zinna got excited seeing the food reach the table. She said a quick prayer before diving into the food. No words were said as the two tore their food up.

"I had a good time Ms. Zinna." David said pulling her close to him.

"I did too. I wouldn't mind doing this again." She smirked seeing David get excited from what she just told him.

"You ain't have to say nothing but a word." Zinna bust out laughing causing him smile at her.

Zinna gave him her number seeing that she was needed in the shop.

"It was good spending time with you ma." David pulled her in for a hug causing her to immediately wrap her arms around him. He placed a kiss on her forehead before watching her enter the shop.

Something about her was so refreshing to him. He just met her but couldn't get enough of her.

"Hey ma'am what do you need?" Zinna asked seeing a woman sitting down waiting.

"I would like some puzzle shaped box braids." Zinna nodded her head knowing exactly what she was asking for.

She walked into the hair part of the studio to see both Honey and Bali working on hair. She motioned for the woman to sit down in the studio chair, while she go place her things in the office. She placed her purse on the desk and her leftover food in the fridge.

Seeing the woman already had braiding hair Zinna went through stretching it and separating it so it would be faster.

Zinna grabbed her rat tail comb parting her hair. She saturated the hair in gel before placing the rubber band on the hair. She parted the rest of the hair repeating the steps. She danced to the song while braiding the women hair.

She was finished with the women hair, all she had left to do was fix her edges, take pictures, and get paid. Zinna bit her lips focusing on her edges. She didn't know why but her clients edges had to be perfect.

"I been messing with this married man named Ron since I moved down here." The client waiting to get her hair done broadcasted to the whole salon. Zinna shook her head focusing on the woman hair in front of her.

"Tall, light skin, tatted, fade, connected beard, with a birth mark on his chest Ron." The woman named Bri asked who was getting her hair done by Honey asked. The client sitting in the chair nodded her head before going into a daze probably think about what he did to her body.

"I'm done." Zinna took of the cape before taking a quick picture for instagram. Everybody shook their head knowing that the wife was right in front of the side chick and the side chick was dumb.

The woman handed the Zinna the $145 she needed to pay for her hair. Zinna smiled seeing another happy customer, she had made $1,000 just from today. Her smile quickly turned into a frown seeing the wife lunge at the side chick.

"Stop.' Zinna broke the fight up getting mad that they had the nerve to fight in shop.

"Pay and get out. If ya'll wanna fight go in the street, but not in my establishment." Zinna was over the foolishness that she heard in her shop today. Straight trifling.

The girls sat around Zinna's living room tearing up hot wings. They had decided to have a girls night to get to know each other on a more personal matter. Before they arrived Zinna had went and got hot wings, candy, and ice cream for them to indulge in.

"These wings are bomb." Honey said with sauce on her face. Bali looked at her before falling out in a fit of laughter.

"We sit that sis." Zinna said laughing along side of Bali. She had never had friends and this girls night made her realize that she was missing out.

"Ok, so we wanted to get closer. So I want each of us to tell something really personal."

"I flushed my gold fish after watching Nemo." Bali said causing us to fall out in laughter.

"But, no I grew up with my grandma because my parents ain't want me. But, that's they lose." Zinna was shocked because people actually went through the same situation as her.

"My parents left me in foster care and never came back. So, I was raised in foster care." Zinna admitted watching her friends listen intently.

"Aww my po baby." Bali squeezed Zinna cheek causing Zinna to slap her hand away.

"Well, I went through an abusive relationship. Until I got the hot grits after getting tired of saying I was leaving but not actually leaving."

The group of friends weren't embarrassed to tell their stories because each of their stories made them stronger. Yeah, some harsh stuff happened to them but they never got up.

"Hoe show me how you did it. I wanna make sure you beat his ass good." Bali blurted out causing me to laugh.

Honey got up and demonstrated exactly how she did it causing us to fall in a spill of laughter.

"I brought one chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, one cookies and cream, and one brownie ice cream." Zinna informed them.

Bali and Honey got up running to the kitchen. They had both wanted cookies and cream. Honey wasn't as fast as Bali. So, she decided to trip Bali causing her to fall. Zinna watched as everything unfolded having her in tears.

"Bitch that's my ice cream." Bali yelled when finally got up.

Zinna finally felt like she belonged. Maybe moving to New York was the best decision for her.