Chapter II

Early the next morning, Diana was up. Earlier than she needed to be. She was to meet with Poe at zero eight hundred hours but she was up three hours prior to when breakfast was even supposed to be served at zero six hundred. Her reasons for being up was a mixture of nerves and being used to only getting less than five hours of sleep. 

She debated on just getting up and walking outside or trying to sleep for three more hours. Mae was lightly snoring in the bunk across the room. The two had stayed up for a while getting to know one another... well, Diana had been getting to know her. Mae had already picked up that Diana wasn't much of a talker. Diana was happy to listen to her stories about her childhood. Every once in a while, she would get sad reminder that there was that chance she may have killed Mae's brother in battle. 

Diana groaned as she decided to hop into the shower. Her life still had a regiment, but not like in the First Order. Every moment of her past life was planned for her, and now? She had flight training till mid-day then ship maintenance until dinner, but nothing but free time after that. Freedom felt strange. 

She turned the shower off and began to put her clothes on in the small bathroom. Diana looked at her hair wondering how to wear it. It had always been put up in a tight bun but she wondered if it was time to change that part too. She started the left braid like she always did but, instead, she did a ponytail. "Small changes. One at a time," She told herself. 

Diana left the room as quietly as she could not wanting to wake her sleeping roommate. The base was still quiet, but there were signs of life as the kitchen crew was getting up to prepare breakfast. She nodded her head with a smile as she pasted them. 

"Nervous about your first day?" A Twi'lek with light blue skin smiled. 

"You could say that," Diana answered. 

"Don't be. You're a new pilot right?" He was kind in the face, Diana notice. Another thing she would have to get used to. 

"Yes actually." 

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. We have some of the friendliest pilots in the galaxy. The names Brax by the way. I'm the head cook for the shift. So, if you don't like the food, I'm the one to complain to." 

Diana giggled, "You won't have to worry about me. I'll eat pretty much anything." 

Brax laughed as he started to walk towards the kitchen, "Then good!" Diana was left smiling. Some of the nerves were beginning to dissipate. She wondered if the hangar doors were opened yet. She wanted to watch the sunrise since she actually had time to. 

A few mechanics were working in the hangar on some of the fighters that had been damaged in the last fight. Diana guessed she wasn't the only one who couldn't sleep. One of the doors was opened. She headed her way there listening to the sounds of repairs being made. First light was just starting to show on the landing pads so, Diana hurried to wanting to find a good spot to watch her first planetary sunrise. 

Too many, it may have sounded stupid, wanting to watch a sunrise, but she never got this chance. All of the things normal people were able to do, she was robbed of. She found an outcropping at the edge of the landing area where she could sit and watch. 

Poe was going through his early morning checks on his X-Wing with BB-8 when he saw her sneak by. BB-8 made a few beeps as his little head tilted to follow Diana. 

"I wonder what she's doing too buddy," he looked to his droid, "Wanna find out?" The BB unit made a series of beeps before following Poe. They followed her until she climbed up on the outcropping at the end of the landing area. He watched her as she looked up at the horizon. The sun was coming up and as it rose, tears began to stain her face. 

Poe's heart sank. It just now dawned on him that this may have been the first sunrise she had ever seen. Poe had been privileged to get to have a childhood. His mother taught him how to fly before she died. Those were his happiest memories. But, Diana, she didn't get that. She didn't have a childhood or a family. 

Diana closed her eyes tasting the salty tears as she smiled. She had never felt this free. It was a new dawn for her, a new life, and she would live it to the fullest. But first, she wanted to end that bastard General Hux. 

"I think we should let her have her time alone. What do you say, buddy?" BB-8 beeped in agreement as the droid followed Poe. 

Later, Diana found her roommate, Mae, in the mess hall with some other the other new pilots. "Oh! Diana! Come sit here with us!" Mae waved her down with the biggest smile. 

"You have way too much energy for it to be this early," another pilot commented, "The names Zeke by the way. Heard you were picked to be Poe's student." Zeke had tan skin with markings all over his face an neck. Diana could only imagine that the markings covered most of his body. She had heard of planets where it was tradition to get tattoos at a certain age. 

"I'm guessing that's what I'll be known for until I make a name for myself."

"Pretty much. Sorry, but there are a lot of jealous pilots." The blue skin twi'lek said. 

"Yeah, well, I didn't choose to be his student. I was chosen. I can't control that." 

"No one is blaming you," Mae smiled at her until she scowled at the rest of the table. All Diana wanted to do when she got here was to lay low until the opportunity arose to bring down the First Order. But now, it seems that a certain pilot may make that difficult. 

Diana ate the rest of her meal in silence. She didn't have much to say since much of her past had to be kept a secret. She did listen on into everyone else talking about their lives and about why they came here. None were as damning as her's.  

After breakfast, Diana and Mae headed towards the hangar to meet up with their instructors. There was one thing that the two had in common and that was piloting. Mae was telling stories about how she would sneak out and go for a joyride in her brother's old A-Wing he had rebuilt. 

"Why didn't your parents just put a tracker on the ship," Diana giggled, "At least then they would know when you took it." 

"I am so glad they didn't. I got away with it so many times. I know my brother would have loved to see me fly it." 

Diana gave a sad smile. Once they reached the hangar door, they parted ways. Diana looked for landing pad 012. It didn't take long for her to find it. On landing pad 011 was the unmistakable black X-Wing with Poe walking from it to the next landing pad with another X-Wing of similar make but with the more common off white paint job. She took a deep breath before walking over to the pilot to begin her training.