Chapter XII

It took her some time but, Diana finally let sleep take her. Poe was sound asleep laying behind her with his arm wrapped around her waist. They had spent much of the afternoon and evening talking and waiting. Kare could tell something had happened between them at dinner even when Diana was racked with worry, she could still tell something happened.

BB-8 woke them up busting through the door beeping about Red Squadron. "What do you mean they've made contact?" Poe's words startled Diana.

"Are they back?" Diana sat up so fast, she almost forgot how close she was the edge of the bed.

"No, but it sounds like they've all made it through the attack. They'll be home within the hour." Poe's words put a smile on her face. She turned around to face Poe with a smile. Diana placed both hands on his cheeks and kissed him deeply. BB made a few annoyed beeps before rolling out of the room.

Poe chuckled as he pulled her closer. Moment of bliss. That is what would keep them going. He deepened the kiss pushing her down on the bed making it to where he was practically on top of her. Poe ended the kiss with a smile. Leaving Diana breathless. "We should um... get ready to meet them when they get here."

"Just a few more minutes. Kinda enjoying the moment here."

Diana cocked her head, "Stealing my words commander?"

"Hey, I told you there would be more moments like this," Poe smirked before bringing his lips to her's. A sigh escaped her lips as she ran her hand through Poe's curly hair.

Diana couldn't lie, she was beyond happy to be in the arms of a man that she wanted to be with.  Diana pushed away, "We need to get ready." Poe pouted a bit before Diana laughed as she pecked him on the cheek. Diana hopped off her bunk. She heard Poe's feet hit the ground as she walked into the bathroom to wash her face. 

CB came rolling in saying they were now half an hour out. Diana couldn't stop smiling as she put on her boots. Poe followed her out of the door easily keeping up with her quickened pace. Much of the base was heading in the same direction excited to see Red Squadron home. 

Poe held onto Diana's hand as he navigated them through the crowd. CB-23 and BB-8 pushed through as the roar of the X-wings signaled their arrival. "I have a feeling I won't see you tonight?" Poe smirked. 

"Oh, we do have some catching up. But, I think there is a certain person she would like to be with tonight." Poe's grin grew. They watched as medical teams made way for a few injured pilots who needed immediate care. Diana didn't see Mae among them. She did see her climbing down her ladder. "Mae!" Diana broke away from Poe and ran for her friend with open arms. The two embraced laughing. "By the Maker, I was so afraid you wouldn't come home." 

"It's not that easy to kill me," Mae smiled at her friend. She looked past Diana and noticed Poe admiring the two friends. "I think there's something you need to tell me. Looks like a lot has happened since I was gone. 

"Nah, not until you tell me about your special someone. I've been left in suspense since you left." 

Mae giggled grabbing Diana's hand. The two walked over to Poe with smiles plastered over their faces. "Mind if I have here for a few hours?" 

"Be my guest," Poe smiled, "I'll let you know when Snap gets back." Poe winked at Diana making her blush. 

Mae spotted someone off in the hanger, "I'll be right back. There's someone I need to see real fast." Diana watched with Poe as she ran off to a mechanic with blonde hair and olive skin. He took her in his arms holding her tight. 

"I'm guessing that is her special someone." Diana looked up to Poe next to her. Poe chuckled with his arms crossed. 

"Let me know when you're free. Other than that, I will let you know about when we leave for the next part of our mission." He kissed her temple before heading off into the base. 

Mae kissed her mechanic before waving bye and heading back towards Diana. "You have some explaining to do." Diana arched a brow.

"Don't even get me started on you. I believe some 'I told you so's' are in order." 

"Alright alright alright," Diana linked arms with Mae as they headed back into the base. 

Mae had to go through debriefing before she could spill the beans to Diana and vice versa. Not much had to be put into her report though. They were escorting refugees from a burning village, that the First Order was suspected of attacking when a group of pirates attacked them. 

Only two pilots were critically wounded with burn wounds. The rest were able to make it out with just some minor cuts and scrapes. 

Once her debriefing was done, she met back up with Diana in their room. Both women were happy to see each other alive. 

"So his name is Buck and you met him cause you damaged your s-foil during a training session? Guessing it was love at first sight?" 

"More like I was embarrassed and he was very sweet. We got to talking and it quickly blossomed." 

Diana giggled as she packed a change of close. She knew that Mae wanted to room to herself and Mae knew that Diana wanted to be with Poe later that night. 

"Well, it sounds way sweeter than mine." 

"Yeah, your's took you forever to see it. Even when I told you so!" Mae practically yelled. Diana laughed zipping up her bag. 

"So, when is Buck coming by?" 

"After dinner. Don't worry, we won't touch your side of the room." 

"I'm good not knowing any details," Diana laughed. She took a quick snapshot of this moment knowing that there won't be many like this. She wasn't sure if she would make it out of this mission. The fear started to grow in the back of her mind over the night. She would be the one that would go into that installation and get the information from the main terminal. And she would most likely face old comrades. 

"So, what's he like... you know?" 

"I don't kiss and tell." Diana winked. Mae pouted. 

"Fine," Mae said as she giggled, "I think it's time for food. I can smell that mystery meat from a mile away." She hopped off of her bunk and darted for the door, "You coming?" 

Diana laughed and followed her friend out of the door. 

Sorry, this took so long to get out! I'm working on several other writing projects plus my streaming. Hope you liked the fluff cause next chapter gets deep and very actiony! (Yes I made a word) Love and cookies!