Chapter VIII

Poe and Diana stayed in the clearing for a while giving her time to dry her tears. Diana felt a weight had been lifted off her shoulder. She didn't have to hide anymore when she was with Poe. He had accepted who she was even before she even knew it.

"We should be heading back," Poe said standing up. He extended a helping hand towards Diana, "People will start wondering." He winked. She took his hand and rolled his eyes.

"You sometimes let your big head show flyboy." Diana chuckled as she used her fingers as quotation marks, "Best pilot in the Resistance."

"I'm sorry, you think you can do better than me?" Poe tilted his head giving her a smile that said 'Try me, I dare you.'

"I know I can do better than you. You could never shoot me out of the sky in that last fight, remember?" Poe was starting to like this Diana. He followed her and boarded his own fighter not really wanting to leave. He wanted to stay longer and get to know all about her, but people would start talking and he had a feeling Diana didn't want to give people a reason to start poking around in her past.

The flight back was filled with laughter and back and forths between the two pilots. Diana knew it would be obvious that something happened between them while they were gone, but what would remain between them. Diana would, of course, tell Mae the details that would satisfy her. Diana could tell that something was blossoming between her and Poe, and that's all Mae needed to know right now. She could already hear the squeal of delight that Mae would give.

Sure enough, Mae was in the hangar when they landed. She had just gotten done with a training session with pilots from Red Squadron when she saw Poe and Diana walking side by side smiling and laughing. Diana saw her and said her goodbyes to Poe before running over. The way Poe looked at Diana didn't go unnoticed by Mae.

"So, what happened?" Mae gave her friend a sly look.

"Let's get back to the room and I'll tell you all about it," Diana giggled as she linked arms with Mae.

"Diana you could have said nothing and I would have an idea what happened by the way he was looking at you as you were walking towards me." Mae had the biggest grin but Diana didn't see the look Poe had.

"What kind of look did he have?"

Mae pulled her closer, "Like it pained him to be parted from you."

"Oh, hush. Now you're just making things up," Diana laughed.

"You can think whatever you like, but that is exactly how it looked. However, I still want to know what happened today."

"Fine, fine." The two arrived at their room and once the door was closed, Mae immediately was all ears.

"Spill it," Mae began changing her clothes as Diana climbed up onto her bunk.

"Well, he took me out there to talk about the mission. Which I can't even talk about. But, after he told me what happened we sat there talking and I swear something happened between us. I can't really explain it, but the way he spoke to me..." Diana remembered how his dark eyes looked when they looked at her. Chills ran down her spine just thinking about it.

"What do you mean?" Mae was now sitting on her own bunk listening intently.

"Well, I hate to break the news, but we didn't kiss, but it sometimes felt like it got close." Diana rested her chin in the palm of her hand. She was finally processing what had happened in that clearing, every move, touch, and look. "Dammit, I think I'm really falling for him."

"Sounds like he's falling for you too," Mae smiled at her friend.

"We definitely grew closer today. That I know for sure."

Mae giggled like Diana knew she would. Diana smiled and blushed thinking about Poe. She couldn't believe it. SHe was falling for the very pilot she used to fight against.

The rest of the day was full of Diana and Mae talking and resting up. Diana didn't go to dinner that night. Instead, she found her rock at the edge of the landing pad and laid back looking up at the stars. It was peaceful with the clear skies and the distant sounds of the base still at work.

Poe had been looking for her since he didn't see Diana at dinner. When he did see her sitting on the outcropping, he turned to his buddy, BB-8, "Hey buddy, why don't you go back and charge up for the night." BB-8 beeped a sarcastic response. "Hush, I'll be back." Poe walked off leaving BB-8 to roll away annoyed.

He began walking towards the outcropping trying to stay as quiet as possible. Diana was still laying down when she heard his quiet footsteps. "I hope you don't think you're good at sneaking up on people."

Poe smiled as he rounded the outcropping, she came into full view laying down looking at the stars. Diana looked at him with the utmost contentment. "Didn't see you in the mess hall tonight."

"Wasn't too hungry," Diana answered. Poe came and sat next to her. She was still laying down behind him so, he turned to speak. The words became stuck in his throat at the site of the starlight that reflected in her eyes. Diana noticed him looking at her and propped herself up on her elbows.

"What all did you tell Mae?" Poe finally asked.

"Just what she needed to hear."

"Which was?" Poe raised an eyebrow.

Diana gave a sly smile, "Wouldn't you like to know?" Poe huffed a little looking away. His smile wasn't missed by Diana who then sat up next to him. "I told her that we were getting to know each other since we are in the same squadron. I cried, you wiped my tears and we... bonded."

"Hmm, I feel like you just left out some key details." Poe sat there with all of the confidence in the galaxy as the woman next to him was just started to gain her's.

"But thank you for today. It wasn't the way that I would have preferred it to happen... but I'm glad it did." Diana smiled at him, "I honestly feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, and that's thanks to you." With a smile, Poe's nudged his shoulder into her's.

"I just needed you to know what was going on, and that you can tell me anything. Your past will most likely affect any mission that involves the First Order. And honestly, I was shocked you even opened up to me as much as you did."

"You haven't told anyone about my relationship with Elrik, have you?"

"No," Poe whispered, "As I told you earlier today, that's your story to tell, not mine."

"Thank you. It feels really nice to have someone I can be completely open with. I feel like I don't have to be worried about my past when I'm with you." She turned to him with that glimmer in her eyes that Poe noticed from earlier that day.

"That's good to hear. I'm always here if you need a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on. I'm not going to lie, it's not going to get easier." His face turned grim. He knew the risks of her being here, both to her and to the Resistance.

"I know, I'm just thankful General Organa took me in despite knowing who I am." Her smile was small but hopeful as she looked down at her hands. "This is the freest I've felt ever in my entire life Poe." She turned to face him with a smile, "I am now able to fly to a clearing in the middle of the day, look at the stars at night, and talk to my commanding officer freely. I didn't have that before. Even what I had with Elrik was one-sided, but I felt if I didn't go along with it, I would be punished."

"That's no way to live..." Poe took one of her hands and held it tightly. Diana's chest felt tight. She looked at her hand that was being held by Poe's noting the pilot's coarse skin against her's. It felt right. It felt natural. Without thinking, Diana rested her head on his shoulder.

Poe smiled at how close they had gotten. He couldn't lie to himself anymore, Poe was falling for her...hard. It felt so natural to have her leaned against her and her hand fit so perfectly in his. He leaned his head to rest against her's as they continued to watch the stars in silence enjoying each other's company.

Oh hey loyal readers! It's me Aimee!! Thank you guys so much for reading so far! I hope you liked this little fluff chapter. They're good every once in a while. The next few chapters may take a little longer since they will be action packed and I'm rough at writing action sequences.

Love and cookies!