Chapter X

Diana was leaning against a console in the debriefing room while Poe wasn't too far from her. He watched as anxiety came across her face in waves. She would relax for a moment until a thought crossed her mind. All he wanted to do was to embrace her and tell her it would be alright.

General Organa entered looking concerned as well. "What did you find?"

"A conditioning facility. A new one since I was unaware of its location."

"How new?" The general asked.

"In the last few months."

"What can we do about it? I'm sure we can't just leave it there," Poe eyes Diana to gauge her reaction.

Diana sighed, "As much as I hate those places with a passion, we need to leave them alone. While they train future stormtroopers, pilots, and officers there, many of the life forms there are innocent children. To destroy that facility would be horrible." Dread and sadness shown in her eyes.

"In order to end those facilities we would need to end the first order," General Organa commented. Diana nodded her head.

"However, the facility could be of some use to the Resistance and the New Republic."

"How so?" Poe asked.

"Those facilities hold an abundant amount of information on the First Order. Routes that they will take to kidnap children, patrol routes, the location of other facilities... I could go on."

If the Resistance had that information, they could prepare for anything the First Order threw at them.

"How would one get into that place? We almost had our asses handed to us back there."

"We need a T.I.E. Interceptor, and I know where we can find one." Diana moved to the center console and punched in coordinates. "There is a small patrol station on Atterra Bravo that houses some interceptors. What I would suggest is that a team of three go to the planet and steal and interceptor." 

"I'm guessing you have a plan in mind?" Poe asked. 

"Yes, one person will need to pilot a carrier ship, another will pilot an x-wing for back up, and another to steal the interceptor."

"Don't interceptors have hyperdrives though?" 

"Do you want the First Order to track us back here?" Diana eyed Poe, "The carrier is to that we can jump to a random location and remove the tracking device from the interceptor before bringing it back here." 

"Sounds like a plan Diana," the General smiled making Diana stand a little straighter, "Problem is, the Resistance doesn't have a small carrier ship that can slip in and out like that." 

"I bet you Snap knows someone. It may take a few days to get it, but it's something." 

"Taking a few days may work in our favor. The First Order will be on high alert after our little run in." Diana smiled at the plan. 

"Then that settles it. I want you, Poe, in your x-wing on back up and Diana, since you know how the First Order works the most, you will steal the interceptor. Snap can pilot the carrier. Get some rest you two. You're back on patrol tomorrow morning." With a smile, the General walked out of the room. 

Poe stepped in her line of sight with a straight face, "We need to talk. You seemed extra scared out there." 

"I thought I handle myself well? Wasn't it I who found the opening?" 

"Yes, but it was in your voice..." Poe got close to her, "It was in your voice that I heard your fear. As if your past had come back to haunt you." Poe's voice was low now. 

Diana's anxiety that she had finally just pushed away came right back. Her chest grew heavy under Poe's gaze. "The thought came to me that I may know some of those pilots. Fought alongside them. We were a unit functioning as one so, we had to know our fellow pilots well. I'm scared to think what I'll do... or won't do if we come across my old squadron." 

Diana looked up to Poe with tears welling up in her eyes. "You defected from the New Republic. They are our allies. You most likely will never have to make the decision whether to shoot an old comrade down. I will have to make that decision, and it terrifies me." 

"I thought you hated them, the First Order?" 

"I hate the leaders. The ones I fought alongside with were just like me. Stolen. I can't hate them for that." 

Poe swallowed hard at the thought. "I'm sorry." 

"There's nothing for you to apologize for Poe." Diana tried to walk past him, but Poe stopped her. She turned and looked up at him. 

"No, but I am sorry that you have to go through this." 

Diana smiled in response. 

"There you are!" Mae's voice was as clear as a bell. She was in her flight suit ready to take off. She hopped over to Diana and hugged her tight, "I know you probably can't tell me about the mission, but I'm glad you made it back!" She looked between Diana and Poe with a wicked smile. "There's someone I need to tell you about but, it'll have to wait. We got a rescue mission so, I'll be gone for a night or two. Meaning that you'll have the room... to yourself." She ended her sentence with a wink. 

Diana rolled her eyes, "You'll need to tell me about this someone later. Good luck on your first mission!" Diana hugged her friend tight praying she would return. 

"Thanks, Diana, I have to go, but I'll see you soon!" She jogged out of the room excited for her first mission. 

"A private room for a couple of nights huh?" Poe jested.

Diana's anxiety had turned into something else at the thought. "Yeah. Kinda sad though," She turned giving Poe a sly smile, "Cause I'm a big cuddler." Her eyes were wild with mischief.

Poe wasn't about to let her have the last word in this. No, he wasn't going to be the one left speechless. "Well, if you get too lonely, just give me a call," He said as he walked by her and out of the room leaving her speechless.