Chapter XI

Poe and Diana were out on patrol in the surrounding areas looking for anything suspicious. In other words, they were casually flying. They hadn't said much other than communicating with each other what they were doing but, Diana could still sense the tension that their last conversation had caused. The thought of Poe in her bed made her cheeks burn. 

"You're quiet today," Poe's voice came through a private channel. 

"Not much to say I guess." 

"Did you get enough sleep last night?" Poe's question rang in her mind. No, she did not sleep well. The thought of seeing Elrik and Poe basically inviting her to his room kept her up. One moment she was crying from anxiety and the next, butterflies were invading her stomach. 

"Yes, why do you ask?" 

"You seem kinda quiet over there. Not as chatty as the last time I saw you." Poe sounded smug. 

"You mean you are surprised I didn't call upon you last night?" Diana was nervous about his response. 

"I kinda was, since you're such a big cuddler." She could hear his smile. 

"Am I to understand that you wanted me to call you?" The coms went silent at the question. 

"Yes, actually," Poe's words came through as just a whisper. Diana whipped her head around to the x-wing flying next to her. She couldn't really tell, but she figured Poe was starring right back. Her heart began to pound in her chest. The coms went silent again with both pilots no really sure what to say next.  

Diana wondered what to do when they landed, which was coming up soon. Poe was wondering the same thing but he was also kicking himself for picking the worst time to admit what he did. Cause now they were up in the air, in separate ships, and not on the ground where he could put actions to his words.

Diana silenced her coms and groaned at how awkward she was being. To her, Poe was being so sauve about the whole thing while she couldn't even form a proper sentence to respond with. "How did this really happened?" She said to herself, "It feels like yesterday I was just fighting him and now I'm flirting with him?" 

Remembering every moment she had with him since she got here cemented that she had fallen for him and that Mae was right. "She's never going to let me live it down now. Especially since she called it." She smiled to herself. 

Diana could see the base up ahead and immediately felt her heart pounding more. Poe and Diana landed as normal and did final checks on their ships. Diana instructed CB-23 to run a few checks on the ship's systems as she walked away, fully aware that Poe was not far behind her.  

"Hey is Red Squadron back?" Diana asked one of the mechanics as she passed by. 

"Nope, not yet. Looks like they'll be back tomorrow morning." 

Diana waved back in thanks. Poe was now matching her step beside her. "Did what I say bother you?" 

"Hm? Oh, no." Diana smirked, "Let's finish this somewhere more...private. I don't want the entire Resistance to hear us."

Poe smiled, "Fair enough." They walked as calmly as they could to Diana's bunker. Once they were there, Diana opened the door and both quickly went inside without anyone seeing. Diana turned and put her hand up before Poe could do or say anything. 

"First, let me say that I wish I had contacted you last night. Maybe not exactly for the reasons I suggested, but I needed someone last night. I needed you," Diana took in a ragged breath as she looked upon the man in her room who was still in his flight suit, "You said I could always come to you when I needed to talk. Last night, I should have done that. I..." Tears began to roll down her cheeks, "I shouldn't have been alone with my thoughts."