Chapter 4

Aden took a step back from me and stuffed his hands in his trousers.

"I'm just asking Orchid if she's coming to the ball," Aden casually stated and I frowned.

What ball?!

Ian narrowed his eyes at us, contemplating whether to trust Aden or not and Aden threw him an innocent look. But Ian seemed to fall into that lie.

"No,"

"But why not? Didn't you look at the invitation card? It says the whole Gersia. Means maids and servants and whoever you are, are all invited," Aden said, stepping aside from me and walking forward to Ian.

Yeah, he didn't know that I was Ian's stepsister, well of course, because Ian and his mother always treated me like a maid.

But before Ian could say anything, Venda walked out gracefully from a massive room of the house.

Her eyebrow arched up one side as she eyed us but as soon as her eyes landed on the brown eyed guy, her lips twitched into a huge grin.

"Oh dear Aden, how are you? No offence, but what are you doing here?" She said with a frown etched on her face.

"I'm great. Just meeting my best friend here," he answered, flashing the woman with his diamond smile.

Venda smiled too, gesturing to the sofa whilst sending me a look with an unspoken order - make them tea.

I silently obliged and made my way towards the kitchen.

As I was stirring tea in the teapot, my mind went to what Aden had mentioned before.

The ball.

"What ball? The king? It must be a royal one but. . . why does he invite everyone? It just doesn't make sense," I muttered to myself and when I was done, I scurried my way towards the living room, holding a tray.

"So Mrs Harrison, have you looked at the invitation card?" Aden's voice froze me on my track.

I stopped abruptly and peeked behind the wall that separated the kitchen and living room to eavesdrop. Yes, I always did that.

"Yes, I have. What's the matter?" Venda's eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

"So, you must have known that the King states that the whole Gersia is invited, including maids and servants," Aden said casually and glanced at Ian for a second.

Ian scoffed, glaring at his best friend.

"He does?" Venda said, a hint of surprise laced her voice. Well, she didn't look through the card with much detail.

"So, would you bring Orchid too?" Aden asked, a look of pleading etched his face.

Where's he going with this? Why is he insisting on making me go?

"If that so, of course I would. The maid could be some use. She could help me bring my bags—"

"No!" Ian cut his mother off, making all eyes snap on him, including mine.

"And why is that, Ian?" Venda asked, lifting her left eyebrow.

"You know urm, who's going to look after our house? It's not safe at all to leave it unobserved like urgh, the whole Gresia is invited that means, who knows there are men out there planning to rob houses from houses. Why does the King do this. It's nonsense," Ian said with uncertainty in his voice.

"Ian, you dare talked like that upon the King?" Aden deadpanned.

"I think. . . you are right, Ian. It's unsafe. Okay, I will not bring Orchid. Plus, I don't want to let her cause any trouble. You know her Aden, such a troublemaker," Venda chuckled at the last part, nudging Aden playfully.

"But–" Before the guy could point any objection, Venda stood up, gasping.

"Oh my! My new gown! I have to take it by now from Dana. Oh, do you know Aden, my supposed beautiful gown was ruined by that stupid maid? I told you she's a troublesome. Oh, I shall leave. Goodbye," the woman hurriedly walked towards the door and when she saw me hiding behind the wall, she narrowed her eyes at me then at the tray in my hand but continued to walk off.

I mentally slapped myself as I completely forgot about the tea but sighed in relief because Venda didn't take further action.

I quickly walked towards the two guys, carefully placing the tray on the coffee table.

"I'm sorry for you guys to wait,"

They both ignored me, barely acknowledging my presence.

"What is wrong Ian? I know the house and the break in is not the real reason. Why wouldn't you let Orchid go?"

I stood there, listening to the conversation and feeling a little bit awkward at the mention of my name. I knew I should have excused myself but I did not want to. If they were to ask, I would just use the 'nobody dismissed me' excuse.

"And why are you so concerned about it? She's not your maid. I have the right to let her go or otherwise,"

"No, she's not my maid. Neither yours," Aden blurted and both Ian's and my eyes popped out.

He knew?!

"Let's talk in the library," Ian suggested, sending a murderous look in my way that I quickly responded by ducking my head.