Chapter 19

I opened my mouth, only to close it after, not knowing how to respond to him.

"Pardon?"

"Your legs took forever to heal."

I had hoped he would stop when I gave him the answer earlier but it clearly appeared that he had not been satisfied with it. I decided to let him know, what I had discovered myself as to why my legs were not healing properly.

"It was not an accident. More to me being careless," I laughed awkwardly, "I broke them when I fell of a cliff ten years ago. They have. . . become a little bit fragile since then."

I did not intend for this conversation to be brought up. I certainly did not want to talk about my past- especially with this man.

"What were you doing at a cliff?"

I hesitated before answering in a timid voice, "It was not that high. I was just. . . trying to see what was down there. My sister, she refused to follow me so I climbed it down alone to prove her it was safe. Obviously, it turned out adversely than I imagined. I had lost my footing, and then. . . I would prefer not to tell."

I still remembered the day so vividly. I fell hardly on the rocky ground after. Luckily, my head hit the bushes, lessening the effect of my fall. Calla who had been watching from above, had screamed so loudly that Mama and Papa could hear her from our house and they came running to us, panicking.

Out of control, vulnerable feelings started to dive their ways into my heart. I missed all days with my family, including the unpleasant ones.

"I see. An adventurous and stubborn little girl," He unemotionally responded, "this was her room, was not? Your sister?"

I nodded, my glassy eyes pinning my fingers that were in my lap.

He laughed darkly suddenly, "You must be missing your dear sister? Being separated with your family. Ah, what a sob story– your life."

Abruptly, I lifted my head, and lined my vision towards Ian, whose back was facing me.

What is wrong with him? Acting concerned by asking about my life story and then suddenly being a snob, laughing about my sufferings?

I would never understand this man and his changeable attitudes.

Or was it just you, Orchid? That mistook his mere curiosity to worry?

"You wouldn't understand. You have no siblings," I replied shakily, a bit harshly, as I brought my sleeve up to roughly swipe the falling tears off my cheeks.

I noticed Ian's shoulders went stiffen but he composed quickly. He then tilted his head down, letting out a forced chuckle.

"You. . . should not have assumed," he said, not looking at me as his fingers trailed the photo frames hanging on the wall.

I blinked fast. Ian is not a single child?

I kept quiet, waiting for him to proceed what he left off, although inside, I was bugging with curiosity.

"I had a sibling. Little sister, Blair. Not here anymore," he answered flatly.

What did he mean–

Oh God, had he lost his sister as well? Why hadn't I known before?

"C–condolences," I murmured, feeling a little bit guilty for my words earlier. However, partially, I was still offended by his lack of empathy earlier; it was not that I needed it.