Chapter 8

I stopped dead on my track and quickly diverted my gaze towards my stepbrother who was sitting leisurely in an armchair in one corner. His eyes were not on me, instead they were buried deep in a thick book in his lap, like he was lost in it.

I arched my left eyebrow. I did not expect him to be a reader, let alone a book worm. I thought  he just loved the peace in the library, not the books in it. Well, it clearly seemed that I thought wrong.

"You wanted to talk to me?" I started, holding my hands tight together behind me.

A few dots of silence followed before he finally responded.

"What did you and Aden talk about yesterday?" He asked with a deep voice, still not looking at me.

He asked me here to question about what Aden and I talked? What was in his mind actually? I thought.

I bet that whole soup thing was just a bribe to make me feel owed and pour everything out to him.

"Pardon?"

"You heard me," he stated shortly, his eyes scanning the page.

Oh now he was back to this jerk.

"Haven't we already had this talk before?" I asked, recalling last night event.

"I want to know the details."

"Well, what did you and Aden talk about before he talked to me?"

As soon as the words spilled out of my mouth, my eyes bulged in pure shock. Did I just really ask him that?

Ian stopped flipping through the pages and brought his eyes to meet mine. His stare was hard and his lips remained in a thin line. I stared at the carpeted floor whilst my fingers played with my faded dress, creating a wrinkled mess on it.

"What did you say again?"

I breathed deeply and thought once. What if I played along? If he wanted to ask that from me then I would do the same to him since I didn't get the answer from Aden.

"You heard me," I repeated what he said earlier.

Ian clicked his tongue, staring at me with annoyed amusement in his eyes.

"What do you want to know?" He asked, closing his book and putting it on the empty space beside him.

Okay, this was fun. It looked like I had turned the event over.

"Did you two talk about me?" I questioned with a genuine curious voice.

I waited for Ian to answer but all he did was twitched his lips up into a smirk. I eyed him confusedly when he hung his head low, shaking it in amusement.

Ian then pulled his gaze up back to me and started chuckling. I frowned.

What's so funny?

"Who do you think you are to be the main topic of me and Aden's talk?"

Well, you did talk about me in the living room the other day.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes and spit that sentence formed in my mind in his face.

"Then what was the main topic you talked about?" I replied instead.

"That was none of your business. Now I was the one who supposed to ask you questions, not the other way around."

"No. If you wanted to ask me questions then answer mine first. I would not provide you any answer if you wouldn't want to do the same. Please be cooperative," I huffed, crossing my arms across my chest.