Chapter Nine

"Why are you in the tub?"

A finger annoyingly poked my cheek.  I smacked at it, not wanting to open my eyes just yet.  I wanted to dream more about Blake.  I wanted to continue to imagine his strong arms pulling me close to him, his mouth upon mine, the touch of hi-

"Wake up, sleepy!  Get out of the damn tub."

I finally registered the voice.  My eyes opened fast as I stared in surprise at the woman before me.  Her hair was very different from the last time I saw her two months ago.  Gone was her long and beautiful wavy black hair.  Now she had a chin length bob of white blonde hair.  She looked less exotic than usual.  She still looked like a model in her tight, dark cigarette jeans.  Her over the shoulder black sweater hung off of her skinny frame coming down low on her thighs. 

I blinked a couple of times, not too surprised with her look.  Mercedes liked drastic changes and she certainly liked to surprise me.  "What are you doing here?  And what's up with your hair?"

"Can't I come visit my favorite sister without an ulterior motive?" she asked with a laugh.  She plopped ungracefully into the tub, her legs hanging over the end.  She lifted my legs up to rest them on her lap.

"So?"

"Lex wanted to go to New York.  It seemed silly to come up without visiting you."  She rested her head against the ceramic tile, inspecting me critically.

"Don't look at me like that."  I nudged her leg with my foot, too pleased to see her to have more bite into my voice.  "There's something else."

"No there isn't."

I snorted.  "My dear younger sister.  There is always something with you."

She shrugged.  "I'm popular in my own right."

"The hair?"

She grinned, her face filled with mischief.  "Do you like it?"

"It's different.  It's very bright."

She laughed.  "Think mom will like it?"

I had to laugh with her.  "Not a chance.  Is that why you did it?"

"Of course.  It's a wig though.  She's having grandma and grandpa visit next week for your show in Philly.  She wanted to stay with me instead of the hotel I already booked for her.  I figure if I show up with this hair she'll be so pissed she'll stay there!"  She pulled it off and her wavy black hair fell free.

I couldn't stop laughing at the devious look upon her face.  "She is going to flip.  Especially with our grandparent's there.  You know how important looking your heritage is for them.  They can't stand that I took after dad."

She nodded.  "Yep.  The famous brat doesn't have the Spanish good looks.  It is such a shame."

I smacked her and she grinned.  "How did you get in here?"

"Your annoying boyfriend let me in.  I took his key from him.  He doesn't deserve it, the whore."

"I heard that!" Lars called out from the other side of the closed bathroom door.

Mercedes yelled back, "I told you to leave.  I thought I took your key?"

Lars opened the door, shrugging.  "I never said I only had one key."  He looked at the two of us, shaking his head.  "You both are still so weird.  Why are you in the bathtub?  With your clothes on?"

"Why not?" Mercedes replied.  "Now get out so I can talk to my sister."

Lars shook his head, crossing his arms as he leaned against the door frame.  He looked at me worriedly.  "Not until we talk."