Chapter Twelve

I slipped away from the celebrations and into the hallway of the building as my phone rang. "Speedster?"

"I hate that nickname. You must be drinking," Mercedes said with a laugh.

"Are you here?"

"Yes, I'm outside the building. Come let me in."

I hurried down the stairs, opening the door to let her in. "Where's your friend Lex?"

Mercedes grinned, slinging an arm through mine. "Well hello to you, too! She's meeting us at the bar. What band is playing anyway?"

I shrugged. "Who knows? Who cares? Want to meet Blake?"

"Do I ever! Yesterday you wouldn't talk about him. Today I get a meeting." Mercedes winked. "Have people been harassing you?"

I shook my head, opening the door to the apartment. "The people who live here just announced they are having a kid so no one has even looked in my direction,"

"I certainly wouldn't say that. I've been looking at you plenty." My heart pounded as Blake joined the two of us at the door. Two new beers were in his hand. He smiled at my sister, handing her a beer. "I'm Blake."

Mercedes smiled. "I'm Mercedes, her sister."

He handed me the other beer, squeezing my hand. "It looks like I need one more. Be right back."

Mercedes watched him, leaning closer to me. "No wonder you dumped Lars. He is super hot."

I rolled my eyes. "Come on. Jackets can be tossed on that chair in the corner." We squeezed through the people and Mercedes threw her black peacoat on the growing pile.

"That's my shirt!" I exclaimed, frowning when I saw what she was wearing. She had on tight, black skinny jeans and knee high dark red riding boots with a four inch heel. The shirt she wore was mine. It was a silver sheer long layered tank top with a ruffled bottom. Over it she wore a dark red jacket with three-quarter sleeves. "You make me feel like a slob."

She rolled her eyes, gesturing to my plain faded vintage Tom Petty tee and dark tight jeans. "I had to step it up to get any of these cute boys to look my way. You didn't tell me this boy had such hunky friends."

I arched an eyebrow. "Looking for a date?"

Mercedes sighed. "No, I have enough on my plate. I want boys to drool over me but I'm not ready to date them."

I frowned. "I worry, Mer."

"God, I see people, Iz. I just am not looking to settle down. Now isn't the time either." She twirled around, gesturing to the party around us. "We're at a party. Let's get drunk and have fun!"

I forced a grin, determined to question her sometime soon.

Blake returned with Armando and Stella. Blake smiled at me, his dimples just as adorable as the first time I saw them. I smiled back, my earlier happiness returning.

Mercedes didn't seem to notice Blake's arrival. She was too busy staring at Stella and Armando as they joined us. Or actually, she was too busy staring at Armando.

"Hey, I know you!" she exclaimed, pointing toward Armando.

Armando looked at her, frowning slightly. "Have we met?"

"You're in Serendipity with that jackass Anthony."

Blake looked back at Armando, shaking his head. "That guy is nothing but trouble."

Armando nodded, frowning. "He is an asshole."

Stella laughed. "You are just pissed at him for hitting on me tonight."