Chapter Ten

I sank down onto the couch, happy to once again be in my pajamas. Mercedes's clothes might be more my style but they were still tight. It was so relaxing to know that for once my day was over early. It was eight o'clock and I didn't have to worry about doing anything. We actually had a few days off, surprisingly enough. Our first show was set to be in Philadelphia in five days. The plan was to get there two days in advance to run through our set once again and make sure it was perfect. So, the next three days were mine. I didn't have any interviews or photo shoots or appearances to do. At least, not yet. After this latest gossip, Karl was probably scrambling to find me something new to do.

As if she read my thoughts, Mercedes looked up from her seat on the floor. She was in the middle of playing gin rummy with her friend Lex. I was surprised by her new friend. She was much less wild than the people Mercedes usually had around her. She was sweet and nice. She was also very short at about five feet. Next to my sister and me in our heels, she looked even smaller.

"We should just leave."

I laughed. "What?"

Mercedes smiled. "We should leave for Philly now. We can stay at my place." I started to object, but she just talked louder. "No, listen to me. Sure, you have this awesome suite, but here, people know where you are. They are going to make you do more stuff that you don't want to do. They're going to own you for the next few months while you tour. Don't you want a little break from all of this? At my house, no one will think to find you. Philly doesn't have the crazy paparazzi as you do here. You could be a little more normal than usual. And Blake is there."

"Blake?" asked Lex. "Who's Blake?"

I frowned. "No one."

Mercedes laughed. "Fine, but it's still a good idea even if you don't plan on seeing him. You'll get a breather from this life. It's what you need. I heard that interview. You practically spilled all of your secrets for the entire world. Either you do that or decide you want to keep going like this."

I groaned, resting my head on the back of the couch as I looked up at the ceiling. "I hate when you make sense. I'm the sensible one."

Mercedes jumped up. "Yes! I knew I would win this. Come on, Lexy. Help me pack everything up."

I sat up in alarm. "I didn't mean right this second. We can leave tomorrow."

Mercedes shook her head. "No way. The longer we wait, the more time you have to change your mind and the more time your manager has to find something you have to do. We're leaving. Tonight." She headed to the door, not caring that she was in her pajamas. "I'll tell the guys. Lex, make sure she packs."

Mercedes left the room, leaving the two of us alone. "How is she?"

Lex looked surprised. "Mercedes? Fine, I suppose."

I sighed. Mercedes never liked to talk much about herself to anyone, even me. "Mer told me you wanted to come up here. We don't have to leave if there is something you wanted to do."

Lex hesitated, turning toward the pile of Mercedes clothes in the middle of the room. "I didn't really need to come on this trip. I wanted to get out of the city, but I would have stayed. She just got this phone call and seemed freaked out. She pretended she wasn't of course. So, I thought hell, I could stand to get away from my boy problems. I can use that as an excuse."

"Thanks," I said softly. "She thinks she's super tough. She isn't though." I stood up. "I better call my manager and tell him I'm disappearing before Mercedes gets back. She'll probably flip on him if she's around to hear the call."