Chapter 11: Wait

6 months later (a year since Wally's death)

Dick stood on the edge of the building.  Sometimes he wondered what it would be like to jump and just fall, no grapple gun, no one to catch him. He slowly tipped himself over the edge and felt the familiar rush of wind before pulling out the grapple gun and latching onto the building across the street. As much as he wanted to sometimes he couldnt just fall. He had people that depended on him. He had people he loved and people who loved him.

"N...Wing...hel...wa...se...trap...back..."Dick heard crackling in his comm. He recognized Tim's voice quickly but couldnt make out what he was saying with all the static.

"Red Robin please repeat," Dick responded, "You're breaking up."

"...backup...arctic...ally," Tim responded, still breaking up.

"The arctic," Dick muttered and landed in an ally with a Zeta Tube. He quickly started tracking Tim's signal once he emerged in the arctic to a familiar site. The arctic was all ice and snow but this area had a high electric grid and the snow was beaten so hard into the ground from the running of speedsters that it was mainly ice and had been for a year.

"What's going on?" Nightwing asked, approaching part of his team. Blue Beatle, Red Robin, Impulse, and Beast Boy were there.

"Blue interrupted our mission and said Scarab wanted us here immediately. He still hasnt said why. He has been talking to Scarab for a few minutes so I only have half the conversation. Basically I think he thinks there is about to be a huge energy surge right here," Red Robin explained.

"You think it's hostiles? Possibly someone using Zeta Technology?" Nightwing asked, taking put his escrima sticks. Tim followed suit pulling out his bo-staff.

"He is almost here," Blue Beatle said.

"Who?" Nightwing asked as sparks of electricity started from a few feet in front of Blue Beatle.

"Its a break in the speedforce," Blue Beatle said, "Scarab thinks... someone... is about to come through."

"Are they dangerous?" Nightwing demanded.

"They shouldnt be," Blue responded.

"When does scarab say it'll happen?" Nightwing asked.

"Any minute now," Blue Beatle said, backing up slowly to stand with the rest of them.

"I'm calling in Miss Martian and the team members she is working with right now. They can be here in minutes in the bioship," Nightwing said as he tapped his communicator to send an alert to M'gann.

A few minutes later Miss Martian, Superboy, Aqualad, and Artemis arrived.

At Dick's strange look M'gann responded, "All our missions ended hours ago so we were all at lunch. That's why I'm not with Beta Team."

"How long do we have?" Dick called towards Blue Beetle.

"About ten seconds," Blue Beetle responded.

Everyone fell into defensive positions as the wind picked up and electricity sparked into a whirlwind in front of them. When it died down everyone remained frozen in their positions until a large blast blew them all onto their backs about ten feet away from where they were.

"Is everyone okay?" Nightwing called as he stood up quickly. A few echoes of "good" was sent his way but he couldnt hear any of them as he looked at what remained at the middle of the electricity storm.

"Wally."