Part Five

I woke up in a tiny room, on a bed with soft cotton sheets. I sat up and looked around. There was a fireplace in the corner and a wool rug on the floor. I groaned and laid back down, a dull throb reverberating through my skull. I heard the door open and immediately tensed, fearing the worst.

"Dean?" It was Sam's voice. I relaxed.

"Sammy, how'd you..." I turned around to face him and trailed off. It may have been Sam's voice, but it wasn't Sam.

"Chaos," I said. Chaos grinned.

"I'm glad you're awake. By the way, if you check, you'll see all of your appendages in the right places." I glanced down at my arm. Sure enough, my hand was intact.

"Oh, um. Thanks," I stated. Chaos nodded.

"Well, I suppose we should get down to business. Have you made up your mind yet?" he asked. I frowned.

"What?"

"About joining me. Have you made your decision about it yet?"

"Oh. Look, Chaos, I have a family, a brother who needs me. I can't do this to him. Besides, according to Chuck, you're evil. And last time I checked, the good guys kill the bad guys," I said.

"Hmm. And what evidence do you have that Chuck is the good guy in this situation?" he asked. "How do you know you're making the right choice? And this business of having to take care of your brother, well, I think he's doing just fine without you." At this, Chaos waved his hand and an image of Sam and Gabriel appeared in front of me. Their faces were locked together in an intense make out session. My reaction went from shocked, to pleased (that they were finally together), to angry.

"He doesn't even care that I'm missing?!" I asked, betrayal blooming in my chest. Chaos smiled apologetically.

"I'm truly sorry, Dean. But really, would you have wanted to work with the one person you hate most in the entire world? The one who killed Castiel? Come, join me. Hel me make the world a better place," he said and held his hand out toward me. He did have a point. Working with Lucifer was definitely not something I wanted to do. And Sam looked completely fine without me. I mean, sure I'd miss Charlie, but as long as she was alive I would be okay with not seeing her.

"Alright," I said. "Let's do this." I took his hand and the world dissolved into a mix of colors. When everything finally solidified again, we were standing in the middle of New York City.

"This is where it begins," Chaos said. I looked around, a little uneasy. When I looked back at Chaos, he was kneeling on the ground with one hand on the cement, eyes closed.

"What are you doing?" I asked. He didn't answer. I stared at him. Finally he stood.

"This is the first step," he said and spread his arms. "Join me, Dean. It's time. There's nothing for you with those people anymore." I swallowed. A brief image of Cas, smiling at some joke I had said, entered my mind. Chaos was right. There was nothing for me anymore. I stepped forward.

"Wait," a voice commanded. I whirled around and my eyes landed on a man wearing a trench coat. I gaped. "Dean you can't do this. Chaos is messing with your mind. Come back to your brother. Come back to me," Cas said.

"Y-you're not real," I rasped. "Jack... Chuck. They're just trying to get me to help them."

"You're right Dean. That's not Castiel," Chaos said gently. "Come on. We have work to do." I nodded and turned my back on Cas. And suddenly there were hands on my shoulders and I was turning back around and my mouth was on his and I couldn't breathe. Finally I knew what Heaven was. But it was over much too quickly and I was staring into his blue eyes.