Part Six

When I opened my eyes, I was standing in a forest with tall trees. It was completely silent. There were no birds or bugs. A chill crept up my spine. This forest was oddly familiar. I frowned and tried to ignore the surging fear in my lungs. I turned around to say something to the group and froze. I was alone. Okay, Dean. It's okay. Chuck just teleported you somewhere closer to Chaos. That's all. I took a deep breath and started walking through the trees. The sun was slowly sinking below the horizon, casting eerie shadows over the land. I shivered against the cold. Suddenly a twig snapped behind me. I whirled around but nothing was there, which was all it took to make me take off running. Everything passed by in a blur as I ran, and pretty soon I could tell something was running behind me. I was being chased. I gulped in air and tried not to scream. The icy breeze ruffled the foliage as I crashed through the trees. Panic exploded in my chest. I could hear growling behind me and suddenly I was on the ground, pinned by some invisible force. Hot breath cascaded on my face. That was when I remembered my dream from days ago. I felt the hellhound's jaws close around my throat and braced myself.

"Now now, boys. What did I say about being gentle?" A voice called out. The weight that was pinning me down left and I heard heavy footfalls receding. "Dean. What a pleasant, well, I guess it's not really a surprise, but at least it's pleasant. I hope my pups didn't give you too much trouble," Chaos stood over me and offered his hand. I ignored it and struggled into a stand.

"Chaos. You knew I was coming?" I stalled and reached into my pocket for the pen.

"Of course I knew, Dean. What do you take me for, an amateur?" He replied. I froze in panic. The pen wasn't in my pocket. I glanced around frantically. "Looking for this?" Chaos held up the pen and smiled coldly. "Give it up, boy. You've lost," he said. I shook my head.

"No. Cas...Chuck. They—" I broke off.

"Sorry, Dean. They're gone. No one is going to save you, or your planet. You know, I had thought that maybe I could save you all, you know? That I could prove everyone wrong, do one thing right and fix what my pathetic son had done to this world. I could make it better. But no. You humans are parasitic. No, I don't think I'll save you after all. In fact, I think I'll just end you. All of you."

After that, everything happened really fast. I'm not even sure if what I'm about to explain is 100% correct. But this is how I remember it, and later, how Cas remembers it.

Chaos lunged toward me, uncapping the pen. Light exploded around him, blinding me. I heard a shout of anguish tear from someone's throat (Cas later admitted it was him) and a searing pain shot through my body. The sword that had been meant for Chaos ripped into my like I was paper. There was too much blood. How could it all have been from me? I looked into Chaos's eyes and for a brief second, all I saw was grief.

"How...why...Chaos..." I tried to form a question, to ask why Chaos looked so sad, but it wasn't working, which just frustrated me. Warm liquid was flooding my mouth, leaving a sour metallic taste. I spat it out, staining the dirt red. Chaos's arms were the only thing holding me up and suddenly that support was gone, leaving my limp body to tumble to the ground. There was another shout, this one angry, and then someone was standing between my fallen body and Chaos, like a beautiful dark angel. I heard voices, some loud, some soft, and someone choking back a sob before I drifted into a deep, peaceful sleep.

In my dreams I was with someone, but I never really got to see his face. I know he had dark hair and fair skin, and his laugh made me smile uncontrollably. We spoke about many things. He was easy to talk to. But then our conversation shifted.

"Dean," he said. I listened, still not looking at him. "Do you know what's happening right now?"

"Of course I do. I'm sitting here in this beautiful meadow, talking to you," I answered. I felt him sigh, and then I sighed too.

"No, I mean in the real world. Out there. Where things matter," he clarified. I still didn't understand.

"Is this not the real world? Does this not matter?" I asked.

"Dean, will you look at me?" he said. I wanted to, I really did, but I couldn't.

"I can't, Cas, I can't!" Desperation filled my voice. Cas? Where had that name come from? Something nagged at the back of my mind. Suddenly hands were cupping my face.

"It's alright Dean. It's okay. Just come back to me. Open your eyes. I'm right here. Just open your eyes," he urged.

"My eyes are open. I just can't see...I just can't..." I trailed off. Words whispered in my ear, so close I could feel breath against my skin.

"Look at me," they said. And I did. And what I saw, I will never forget. Blue. Everything was blue. It was beautiful. The whole world was awash in the color blue. It was all I could see. And then everything came into focus and I was looking at a face. A face with the bluest eyes I had ever seen.

"You're back," Cas said. He was crying. I frowned.

"Why are you crying?" I asked. Now he was laughing.

"How touching," Chaos said. Then I remembered.

"The sword, Cas. The sword," I said.

"Right here," he handed me a pen. I took it and Cas backed away. I uncapped it, but strangely enough, that feeling of exhaustion didn't come like the first time I touched the sword. Instead, all I felt was happiness in its purest state. I was filled with elation. Suddenly my body didn't hurt so much. I stood and looked Chaos in the eye. Instead of the grief I had seen before, his eyes were filled with rage and a hint of panic. But I knew the desperation was still there.

"Why are you sad, Chaos?" I asked. My voice sounded strange, powerful. Chaos narrowed his eyes.

"I'm not sad," he said and lunged toward me.