4 | Summers With You

July 4

Lena

The screen they brought out in front of the camp was similar to a projector.  My stomach was churning at the thought of what would appear before me in a matter of seconds, if not minutes.  The burger and fries I had recently finished wasn't making it any better.  

Tiana was nervous too, but she wouldn't let it show as she cracked jokes and quietly sipped on her drink.  Derek had joined me.  He sat beside me, his hand resting on my thigh from time to time, and although I didn't tell him, it helped knowing he was there.

"The first category we will be displaying will be Art," Pamela said.  She and Richardson were standing on either side of the projector.  The joy and spirit the camp seemed to embody on this fourth of July night all vanished when this simple device was rolled out.  It lit up a bright white.  There were ten empty slots.  "As you know it is in your favor to be top ten as only the person in first place in his or her category will be rewarded."  

A single name popped up on the very first slot.  "And I would like to congratulate Halle Pierce for being number one on this list."  A short girl with tiny curls framing her face and big glasses smiled from ear to ear.  She must've been one of Alexis's friends because she was sitting right next to this Halle, beaming.  "Those of you who follow have worked extremely hard.  If you are on the first slide tonight, consider that a feat.  If you are on any of the other slide, just know you have a little more than two months to rise.  And it is possible.  This goes for everyone not just the artists."

The names kept being revealed one by one under Halle's.  Alexis was determined to be in 17th position; she was happy about it and rejoiced with her friends.  I anxiously watched as the names of the musicians rolled out with Tiana being in 12th place and Derek being in 11th.

I congratulated them both.  "Congratulation, b-" Babe. I was about to utter the wrong words, and in a way put a label on something that I didn't even know what it was.  "Derek," I quickly said afterwards.  I gushed at him while he smiled and thanked me.  

"It's not first place but it'll do for now," Tiana said jokingly after I congratulated her.

Too quickly, the names of the actors were listed.  First place was revealed, then fifth, then eighth.  I started going over all the work I had turned in during the past few weeks.  I started doubting their worth, wondering if I had really put my best effort in, or if they had seen it at all.

"Securing the last spot in the top ten for actors," Pamela said.  "Lena Gabriel."

I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding.  I was relieved, happy even.  I knew that I didn't need someone to tell me I was enough or that my work was enough, that it was good, but seeing my name on the board hanging out with nine actors and screenwriters that were considered the best in the state made me feel like this was something that I could accomplish. 

After the display ceremony, counselors moved the projector screen to the side out of the way where the ranks were left on a loop.  Even after an event that put everyone slightly on edge, the energy returned with a force.  The seats around the campfire were even more full, the sounds of conversation and laughter acted as a melody that took over the atmosphere.

While Tiana spent time with her roommates, I got to spend some with Derek.  He walked beside me as we made our way to the more secluded lake.  There were groups of people clumped haphazardly along the shore, but eventually we stopped.  Here the noise of the crowds seemed to fade away with the help of the lake's quiet whispers and the rustling of the trees.  I would be able to hear snippets of a distant conversation if I weren't so focused on Derek, the way his eyes looked under the moonlight and the way he licked his lips before he spoke to me sometimes.  It was almost like we had found a little bubble.