13 | Near Miss

August 8

Derek

I had forgotten about Toni until lunch when I saw her sitting next to her friends outside.  I made a beeline for Liam and a couple musicians.

"What's up?" Liam greeted me through bites of his sandwich.  "How did the talk with Jeremiah go?"

"It was alright," I said, unraveling my sub.

"Mm."

We both continued eating our lunch.  My eyes traveled across the courtyard.  There were glances thrown my way, a few whispers but I shut it out.

"How did the thing with Lena go?"

"Alright."

He laughed and turned his head to look at me.  "Dude, what's up with you?"

"Hm?"

He was staring at me with a light expression and a lopsided grin.  I saw Tiana walk by, greeting me with a familiar glance before walking off with Parker and Cassie.

"I said how did the thing go with Lena?"  I turned back to him.  "You sound out of it.  Are you good?"

"Yeah, I'm fine.  I'm just not all that hungry."

He nodded but I could tell he could see right through me.  Right as he opened his mouth to speak, I did.  "I'm going to get a drink.  Do you want anything?"

He shook his head.

I rose and began my trek to the cafeteria.  It had only been a few hours since Lena had left and yet, the dynamic of camp had shifted for me.  Even when she was ignoring me, I could at least find her in the crowd smiling.  But now, it was just me again.  And the music.

I knew that should've been enough to keep me going and yet it felt like I was on the outside looking in.  As I floated across the courtyard, bits and pieces of conversation found me.

"Third screening will basically determine who wins, hard to come up any more."

"Do you want my chips?  I don't think I'm gonna eat it."

"She left this morning.  You know the only reason she'd be kicked out is if she was pregnant."

I stopped suddenly and tried to follow the origins of that conversation.  "I could be searching.  She could've chosen to leave.  Who would want to stay here with everyone knowing you're a hoe?

"She even tried to put her hands on me.  You only get defensive when what people are saying about you has some truth to it."

"Guess her real talents had nothing to do with her writing," one of her friend said.

I narrowed in on a table a few feet away.  Even though her back was turned, I recognized Toni.  Her body shook as she laughed.

I clenched my teeth feeling the anger rising in me.

"I'll have to ask her to give me a few tips.  Her sloppy toppy must be immaculate since Derek has been acting like a love-struck puppy ever since."

I headed towards her, heated.  She turned around, eyes wide when she saw me.  "Hey, Derek!" She tried to play it off, not aware of how much I had heard.  "I wanted to catch you after class but—"

"I want nothing to do with you," I shot at her.  Her face fell as if ignorant to the nasty words that had just come out of her mouth.  "Keep Lena's name out your mouth and stay away from me."

Her jaw dropped.  She stood up as I walked away from her.  "Wait, Derek!" she exclaimed.  She moved away from the table and threw herself in front of me.