15 | Take Care

/ August 13 /

Lena

Hey

Derek had given me his number last night and we had been sending texts back and forth. Still, it felt weird to send him messages when before I could see him any time I wanted.

The talk with his parents hadn't been great but it went better than it did when I spoke to mine.

After he didn't answer my text in the morning, I sent another one.

Yo.

I stared at my lonely text bubbles and then turned off my phone.

"Lena! Breakfast!" my mom called out.

I stuffed my phone into my pocket and ran down. I was starving. When I reached the dining room, I saw my dad by the kitchen with a cup of coffee. "Good morning, princess," he said.

"Good morning, dad," I said. I couldn't help but smile a little. He hadn't called me that in so long.

My mom set a plate down in front of me. An omelet and croissant with strawberries on the side. "This looks delicious. Thanks, mom."

"Of course, baby." She sat down next to me with her meal just as my dad moved to sit down.

Mom: Mm, I managed to take off from the office today but I do need to pick up some files after breakfast.

Dad: Since you're going to be on that side of town, you should pick up some brisket from that food truck. They finally came down here.

Mom: That place my sister can't stop raving up. Yeah, I'm already on it. We can have that for dinner.

Dad: I miss the city. I've been applying to some new jobs over here and in the next few weeks, hopefully, something comes through.

Mom: You have?

"You have?" I echoed, breaking out of my bubble. I had been so entranced with their conversation, especially now that they weren't fighting for once.

My dad smiled at both of us. "I want to be closer to my two favorite girls."

I beamed from ear to ear. My phone buzzed in my pocket.

"That dinner last night really put things into perspective. I can't be across the country during a time like this." I smiled and nodded as I unlocked my phone. "Lena's going to need the support with the baby and you work a lot..."

His voice droned on as my eyes ate up the words Derek finally sent.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner.

He was typing. I gripped my phone anxiously.

I was arrested.  They're going on about how I took advantage of you. 

...

My eyes widened and the three dots blinked; he was typing more.

I'm still in the precinct now.  The cop mentioned statutory rape.

It were as though I were in the middle of a carousel that wouldn't stop spinning.  The blue and gray bubbles of messages on my screen blurred to an indecipherable block of light, leaving me with shallow breaths and deep, unwinding thoughts.   

...

...

"Lenaaaa, earth to Lena," my mom sang. "Baby, could you please put away your phone?"

I kept my eyes glued to the screen, growing more and more frustrated.

...

The dots went away suddenly.