Chapter 2: The Argument

You have been Professor Gadd's lab assistant for some time now. Sure, you are a newbie but he needed the extra help. You were actually getting the hang of all the tasks he had you to do. You were more than a maid than anything really. But regardless, you just did what needed to be done. Your two best pals who helped the scientist, Mario, and Luigi, have been quite busy protecting each world, especially around The Mushroom Kingdom. You never got a chance to see such a place. You've been busy helping Gadd out. Maybe someday, your friends will be able to take you if they aren't busy that is.

For now, you are just organizing shelves and cleaning up messes in the professor's lab. You were sighing that this was a big one he made than the last few times you had to clean. You went on your knees to clean the chemical mess on the floors when suddenly, Luigi bursts into the doors with Mario.

"Hopefully we get to the bottom of this," Luigi said. He looked pretty upset. But he was looking at his brother.

"Luigi, please calm down. I think there must have been some misunderstanding to the situation in the plumbing system-"

"No, way!" Luigi replied back, crossing his arms. "We never had a problem with our job fixing the pipes within the kingdom or anywhere! Maybe the professor has something for the both of us to try."

"Ehhh, Luigi, should we even bug him? Besides, all of us make mistakes."

You rose a brow, confused about why they are fighting. You stopped what you were doing and walked up to them. "Mario! Luigi! What's up, guys? What seems to be the problem?"

The two notice you giving you a smile. Mario and Luigi walk to you, shaking your hand. 

"There isn't much of a problem, (Y/N), just a little bickering over our job as plumbers that's all," Mario explained. "My little brother just thinks that we need a better plumbing device. Clearly, it's a mistake we both made."

"You guys? Making mistakes?!" You laughed. But you held your composure. "You guys never have problems with plumbing! You guys are masters at it!"

"That's what I said!" Luigi stated. "We just well, need something to get through the pipe that we need to fix in The Mushroom Kingdom. Where is Professor E. Gadd?"

You tapped your chin. "Last time I remember, he was going on a garage sale. He told me to take care of this place he said he would be back. Hopefully, he does get back but in the meantime," You went to check one of your boss's inventions. Checking in the drawers, he had a super wrench and plunger. You handed it to the two brothers. "There you go. Hope he doesn't mind."

The two took it, smiling at the new devices in hand. "I'm sure he'll understand, (Y/N), we can always return them back," Mario says. "Now little bro, ready to get this to work? Maybe this won't fail us?"

"Yeah, yeah," Luigi said back, annoyed. He knew Mario was trying to bash in that they both made mistakes but he didn't want to believe it. "Anyways, we'll return back with the equipment! Catch ya later, (Y/N)."

The two waved back at you before taking their leave to fix that pipe they were stuck on. You waved back as you went to attend your duties. Cleaning the ground, you kept thinking about the brother's silly argument. 'Brothers are brothers, they act the same as ever,' you say in thought. You were just finishing up the organizing and messy floors when a doorbell rings. "Huh? Wonder who that could be? Maybe it's the professor." You went to get the door.

Opening the door, you see a lot of mail in the mailbox. Going to collect the new mail, you head inside with it in hand. As soon as you went inside the lab, you checked each mail which it all belonged to your professor. Placing them on the table, you see a note. "Huh? Wonder what this is? It's not in an envelope?" You told yourself. You unfold the letter as it read:

Dear Mario,

This is an emergency! I am excited to announce that I have found the perfect place for us to meet and discuss my new invention for you. I am waiting for you to meet me at the nearest mansion. I want you and only you to see this. It is a surprise after all! 

Your dear friend, Professor E. Gadd

"Hmmm," you think as you put the note down. "Odd. He should have told me about this head on first. Well, hopefully when Mario arrives, he finds him." You felt this was sketchy but you let it slide so it doesn't get to you. You just needed to wait for Mario and Luigi's return. So you attended your duties to waste time instead of just having a break.