Chapter 3: The sketchy invite

It was becoming sunset out and the brothers arrived back at the lab. You were trying to take a break finally after the long work you had to get done around the place. You were sitting on a chair, reading a book as the two see you once again with the promised tools they've used on the pipe they were stuck on. You placed your book down, walking to the two and taking it. 

"I am guessing it all worked out?" You asked, putting the tools in a box for them to be cleaned and repaired later. 

"Indeed it has!" Mario replied happily. "It was a bit sticky and the pipes were pretty much backed by some weird force. Probably King Koopa at his no good tricks again."

"Well, now ya know it wasn't any error in our plumbing. Hmmm, maybe we should investigate any other places that he might have done damage," Luigi suggested. The two were about to walk out but before they did, you rushed to them, remembering the letter you needed to hand to Mario.

"Mario, wait! This is for you!" You hand him the letter. He looked back at you, taking the note. 

"A letter for me? I wonder what it is?" He began to read it. 

"What does it say?" Luigi asked.

"Sounds like Gadd needs me for some surprise he has in store at a nearby mansion. He only wants me to come and see it."

"I think it's odd, Mario," you said. You felt that this was some prank or something now that you think about it. "The professor would be here handing it to you instead of just leaving to sell that painting, going to the mansion and then sending the note from there."

"(Y/N) has a point there, brother. Should we figure this out?" Luigi scratched his head, a bit worried. 

"Ehh, doesn't sound so sketchy. But maybe to make sure we are careful, I will get any power that will defeat the monsters that could possibly lurk within."

"Wait, monsters? What do you mean?" You asked.

"Oh, usually Luigi and I fight monsters that inhabit each world. For example, the mansion is crawling with ghosts. I don't think King Boo is nothing to worry about now."

"King Boo?"

Luigi sighs. "He was the King of the Boos. Those ghosts that live in those mansions, served him. He was trouble and was trying to bring Mario and me to our demise. Unfortunately, he lost and is now trapped in the portrait that Professor E. Gadd placed him in. That was one mission I had to do alone." 

"Wow, you've must have got it bad, huh?" You pat Luigi's back. 

"Hehe, not as bad as Mario. He was a portrait within that ghost king's grasps."

"Well, no worries now. Thanks to your courage, Luigi, you saved us all. We shouldn't worry about a thing. Come on, I will check up on our professor and see what is up. I will be back, don't worry."

"The worry word is all I have to worry about, Mario," Luigi said. 

"Well, in the meantime, do you want to just relax here? I'm not that busy," you asked. You felt bad for Luigi to be this worked up. The past is probably haunting him. 

"Well, I should check out the other pipe systems that could be blocked as well through the land."

"Nonsense, you need a break for now, please?" You walked over to sit down on the couch, patting the seat for Luigi to sit down.

He sighed as he went over to sit down. "Okay, fine. I guess a little break wouldn't hurt. Just worried about-"

"NO WORRIES!" You and Mario barked. 

"Little bro, just chill. I've got everything covered. You and I will go back to fixing the problem and will finally have a day off. Us plumbers need our rest, too." Mario ran off waving to you two. "Good-bye! See ya two later!"

With that, you smiled. But inside, you had the same worry as Luigi. Hopefully, Mario will come back safe and sound.