Chapter 10: The Portrait Visit Part 2

"I know you wish they were out of that dreadful picture," King Boo says, "But I can't have anything happen to me or my subjects. I hate to repeat myself, dear."

You pretty much got it in your head. He is just trying to keep your hopes up on seeing them at least and reassuring you that things will be fine with him. You had to admit; He's persuasive and charming. The stairs were long but it kept you and him in a conversation.

"I know," you replied with a sigh. "But as you said, I can see them just not physically. Ummmm," you were trying to think on what to say. "When is the wedding?"

"Wedding you say?" He asked, confused.

"Yeah? I am going to be your queen, right?"

"Of course you will be. I never expected you want it immediately?"

"I just want to do this. For you and your Boos for them to be happy to have another ruler to look up to."

He gave a long, satisfied smile. "I do love the sound of that. I will promise you that you'll get what's coming to you soon enough~"

Minutes passed by and you two made it to the basement door. The door creaks open as you both go within the altar. The altar had many pictures held up on the wall. Some old and torn. The flames illuminating the area gave you a clear view of the big portrait on the wall. King Boo gave a bow, gesturing his hand for you to step forth over to the portrait. You gladly did, reaching out to the empty portrait.

"Mario? Luigi? Gadd?" You called out to them.

The portrait began to glow, purple mist swirling within the frame. "(Y/N)? Is that really you?" Luigi called out. "We thought you were a goner?"

"It's really me," you replied with joyful tears. "Are you guys alright?"

"Yeah! We feel pretty cramped up in here! Mind helping us out of here?"

When Luigi asked that, you turned away. You felt bad that you couldn't do that. "I'm sorry but you guys have to stay here forever..."

"What?!" Mario screamed in disbelief. "Why say that?!"

You point to King Boo. He was grinning at the two plumbers with his tongue sticking out as a tease.

"We... I made a deal with him to keep you guys from being destroyed. As long as I become his queen, he won't harm you-"

"QUEEN?!" The two brothers say in union.

"I know, I know, it isn't so bad as you guys think-"

"Not so bad?!" Mario shouts. "It's horrifying! It's far worst than a volcano flooding and burning the Mushroom Kingdom!" Mario was flipping out, having his hands on his hat.

"Don't you think that's a bit too much, Mario?" Luigi asked, concerned on Mario's exaggeration. "I never expected those words coming out of you like that?"

"Now you do! (Y/N)! You can't be serious?! Being with him is bad news."

"I'm doing this for you guys. I know this is wrong, keeping you guys in that prison of a portrait but if I decline the deal... You know what will happen." You rubbed your arm, feeling so guilty about this.

"Hurry up, darling!" King Boo rushes. "Say the last of your words to them before we head off. Don't feel so harsh on yourself. You did do the right thing. Protecting your friends from my cold, dead hands. It's touching really."

"(Y/N)! He's right!" Professor E. Gadd calls out to you. He walked up between Mario and Luigi. "You were very brave to pick one of those choices for us. I am proud of you. I know you'll be fine. All three of us will put our trust in you. Do keep safe! Sorry you worked so much when you were with me at the lab. If somehow we came out of this prison, I promise we will explore new heights around the world!"

King Boo yawned. "Seriously? Is that all? I think it is. (Y/N), my love we are off. Say good-bye to them. I'm sure we will face them very soon. Perhaps they be a lovely decor for our wedding~" He evilly laughed, echoing with a cackle now.

He snapped his fingers, making them disappear from the frame. King Boo scoops you up, vanishing with you in his arms. You held onto your beating chest. Between being anxious on this wedding soon and your friends trapped, you felt so overwhelmed. What will you do about this situation that you're in? There has to be a way to free your friends somehow...