Chapter One

"THE SEMEN has been washed thoroughly twice and concentrated down to maximize the chances of your conception. We do the washing and processing phase so that potentially toxic chemicals are removed, along with a seminal plasma-shell that surrounds each sperm cell."

Lea nods in response. This nurse, named Chloe, keeps on explaining too much science to her for 35 minutes and 23 seconds now. Yes, she's been counting the time. This is THE DAY, probably one of her life's highlights. She finally gets to wear this cute hospital gown and take the first step to her unforeseen dream.

"Don't be nervous Miss Lea. The artificial insemination procedure is quick and usually painless. You will just be asked to lie down as you normally would for a pelvic exam. A speculum will be inserted and the sperm sample will be prepared for insertion. The sperm will be placed all the way into the uterine cavity with a thin catheter and syringe. I know na-explain naman na sayo 'to ni Doc Gina but I just want to assure you that you have nothing to worry about."

Lea knows that Nurse Chloe is just being as sincere as she can. Maybe she can see her fidget from her seat. Despite wanting this so much, Lea can't help but be nervous. This is a big leap she has to take.

Vagina, Cervix, Uterus, Fallopian tube, Ovaries, Vaginitis, Bacterial vaginosis... Lea stopped her thoughts from going further towards the female reproductive organs.

Seryoso na ba talaga ako? She doesn't want to doubt her own decision pero this is not very 'Lea'. She'll be starting a family. Well, a family of two. Ano bang alam niya sa pamilya? She never had one.

Lea took a deep breath and tried to clear her mind. She smiled at Nurse Chloe for her comforting words.

Lea has always been confident of herself and of what she can do but today she just have to let it go and trust the process. She can't remember the last time she felt this anxious, maybe six months ago.

"Pep talk is done. Let's start the process. Are you ready?"

"I'm ready"

Six months ago.

"Carlton Hotel Singapore, Swissotel The Stamford, Mandarin Orchard Singapore, Marina Mandarin, ibis Singapore On Bencoolen, Regent Singapore, Park Regis Singapore, Peninsula Excelsior Hotel, PARKROYAL on Pickering, Furama RiverFront..."

This is the fifth time for Lea to recite these hotel names since she first sat on her seat.

Ughhh. Turbulence! She thought. She drew another deep breath and resumed on what she's doing.

"...Carlton Hotel Singapore, Swissotel The Stamford, Mandarin Orchard Singapore, Marina Mandarin, ibis Singapore On Bencoolen, Regent Singapore, Park Regis Singapore, Peninsula Excelsior Hotel, PARKROYAL on Pickering, Furama RiverFront"

"Hi! Ano yung binabasa mo?"

Napabalikwas si Lea sa kinauupuan niya. She looked at the woman sitting beside her. The woman is heavily pregnant with a kind smile pasted on her face. She looks just about her age but she has this very angelic face. She's wearing a floral dress and her hair is curled, opposite Lea's prim and proper style today. She's wearing her usual office look; a plain gray suit and a black skirt, her hair is tied in a neat ponytail. Lea was not aware of this woman's existence until now.

Masyado siyang maganda, ayokong kausapin.

She really doesn't want to pero mas pinili niyang maging polite. Anyway, hindi na rin naman sila magkikita after this flight.

"Ah, wala" Lea said with a forced smile.

"Huh, talaga? Pansin ko kasi kanina ka pa may binabanggit. I just thought may binabasa ka." The woman beside Lea smiled wider as she says that, although confusion is a bit visible on her face.