•6•

My mom and I were sitting in the kitchen I was typing up an essay, and she was writing in her notebook. Once a week Aunt Veronica, Uncle Archie, Issa, and Gabriel would come over for dinner. They've done it ever since I can remember, and honestly I think it's still wierd that my dad's never there for these dinners. Nobody ever sits in his seat and sometimes Mom, Uncle Archie, or Aunt Veronica would have accidently set an extra place for him. This special dinner was the only time my mom would put on actual clothes and come downstairs. Once a week we would actually look like a "normal" family.
"Knock knock!" My Aunt Veronica said as she came bursting through the door with Uncle Archie and their kids following behind her.
"Hey V." My mom got up out of her chair and walked over to Aunt Veronica. She gave her a hug, and Aunt Veronica kissed my mom on the cheek.  Uncle Archie greeted my mom with a hug. Then my mom said hi to the twins closing the door behind the Andrews family.
"How's my favorite goddaughter?" My Aunt Veronica asked me. Sitting down across from me. I shut my laptop and pushed it away from me.
"I'm your only goddaughter." I laughed.
"And that's why you're my favorite." Aunt Veronica smiled. "Come here and give me a hug." She said. I stood up from my chair and hugged my godmother.
"Hey, Ava." Uncle Archie said.
"Hey." I replied. He gave me an awkward side hug, and I smiled. I ran over to Issa and Gabriel, and hugged one at a time.
"Hey you guys!" I said.
"Hi Ava!" Gabriel said as his cheeks turned bright red.
"Omg! Ava is it true that Claire is going to be a serpent!"
"Yeah, Issa. Her gauntlet is tomorrow. Why are you asking?"
"Everyone's talking about it! People are trying to decide if she's ready or not."
"What do you mean by that?"
"Well, a lot of people think she's not ready for real serpent life. That she's always gonna be the pretty, perfect, north side cheerleader."
"What the hell do people think we do! We're not doing drugs and killing people! We're not bitches like the goulies!" I screamed.
"Ava!" My mom said sternly from the kitchen. I look over my shoulder and she was giving me that look. Her eyebrow was raised and she looked pissed.
"Sorry mom." I murmured. I looked back at the twins. Gabriel moved in front of Issa and tried to show off to me.
"So, I was at football practice today and I threw the best ball all practice. It went a total of twenty yards." He started flexing trying to flirt with me.
"You know I have a boyfriend right?" Gabriel's face fell.
"Yeah I know." He looked down at the ground suddenly becoming very interested in his shoe.
"Hey, Gabriel. It's nothing against you. You're a great guy and any girl would be lucky to have you. But, I'm in a great relationship right now, with a man I love. And plus, you're like my little brother and dating you would just be wierd." I put a comforting hand on his shoulder and he gave a small chuckle.
"Thanks Ava." I smiled and kissed his cheek. My mom called us for dinner and the three if us walked into the dining room. Uncle Archie and Aunt Veronica were sitting next to each other and my mom was sitting next to my Aunt Veronica. I sat across from my mom, Issa sat next to me, and Gabriel sat next to Issa. My mom unlocked the tall cabinet that held the wine and pulled out a bottle of red wine. She poured some for Archie and went to pour some for Aunt Veronica, but she held up a hand.
"I think I'm okay tonight B." My mom looked confused but nodded her head. My mom poured her own glass and put the wine back into the cabinet.
"So Betty, Ava. There's something me and Archie have been meaning to tell you." My Aunt Veronica laced her fingers with my Uncle Archie's and they rested their hands on his thigh. "Is everything okay V?" My mom asked. Issa was smiling and Gabriel looked uncomfortable. Aunt Veroncia looked over at Uncle Archie and he nodded his head.
"I'm pregnant!" My Aunt Vernonia said.
"Oh." My mom said. She glanced down at her plate and a wave of sadness crashed over her.
"That's wonderful guys! I'm so happy for you!" I congratulated them.
"Excuse me." My mom mumbled as she stood up and rushed out of the dining room towards the bathroom. I stood up and raced after her. When I got to the bathroom I heard her throwing up. I knocked on the door.
"Mom, are you okay? Can I come in?" The door creaked open and I stepped inside. My mom was sitting on the floor crying with her knees to her chest.
"There's something I never told you about." My mom gazed at the rim of the sink not blinking, not looking at me, just staring at nothing. I sat down next to her. "I was pregnant when your dad died. You were supposed to have a sister. We were both so excited, we even had a name picked out too." She started playing with the bottom of her dress. "Her name was Alison Lily Jones. Your dad was so excited and he couldn't wait to tell you." She took a deep breath and wiped tears from her eyes. "After your dad died I.....I lost her. All the stress and my depression it wasn't good for the baby. I lost her. After I found out I tried to swallow a handful of pills. And of course I'm happy for your Aunt, but it....it's hard." My mom wiped more tears from her eyes. I hugged her and she leaned into me. "Why did he have to leave! He knew how much he meant to this family, but he still left!" She cried into my shoulder.
"Shhhhh, I know mom. I know."