•7•

"Claire Blossom-Topaz. Welcome to the gauntlet of the serpents. Tonight, you will be tested in the most rigorous of challenges. If you succeed you will be rewarded with serpent membership and your very own jacket." I shouted the ritual's directions to the entire gang, as Claire stood in front of me. The sun was setting on the lake and the water sparkled like a gazillion diamonds. Claire stared back at me with fear and excitement in her eyes.
"For your first challenge you must recite serpent law. If you hesitate or miss a law you fail the first challenge." I explained. Claire nodded and stepped forward. She was wearing knee high black leather boots that had about a three inch heel on them. Her red hair was down in soft curls resting on her shoulders. She was wearing a long sleeved one piece black lingerie that was sheer along the stomach and arms. On top of the lingerie she was wearing black booty shorts. To finish her look bright red lip gloss was painted on her lips. In my opinion she was dressed pretty slutty for a fifteen year old.
"Claire. Recite the first serpent law." I demanded.
"No serpent stands alone!" She shouted back at me. I nodded.
"What is the second law?"
"A serpent never shows cowardice!"
"Recite the third law!"
"If a serpent is killed or imprisoned their family will be taken care of."
"Recite the fourth law."
"A serpent never sheds it's skin!"
"What is the fith serpent law?"
"No serpent is left for dead!"
"What is the sixth law?"
"A serpent never betrays it's own!"
"Recite the last serpent law!"
"In unity there is strength!" She shouted the final law to the crowd, then smiled through her last breath.
"Very good Claire. Onto the second challenge!" Everyone cheered. Sasha and Sean brought out a heavy case covered with a tarp. They set the case down in front of Claire and peeled off the tarp revealing a live rattlesnake curled up on the bottom. Claire looked inside and jumped back a little.
"Claire Blossom-Topaz, to test your courage you must be bitten by the serpent before you." She bit her lip and looked up at me. "Don't worry. It's venom glands have been removed. It will only feel like a pinch." I whispered. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes and thrusted her hand into the terrarium. Her touch frightened the snake and caused it bite her. She jumped back grabbed her hand, yelling in pain. She rubbed her wounded hand, and held it close to her chest. Everyone clapped for her.
"Bravo Claire. It's time for your final challenge. The most difficult of them all." She looked frightened. I knew she wasn't ready for the pain she was about to experience. "The final challenge will test your strength. You will be beaten by each serpent memeber. If you show confidence and strength throughout it all, you will become a serpent." Claire nodded her head, fear showing in her eyes. The serpents lined up and one after another threw a punch at her. I looked over at her mothers. Cheryl had her head into Toni's shoulder with her eyes squeezed shut. Toni was rubbing Cheryl's shoulder while she watched her daughter be beaten. I could've sworn I saw a tear fall from her eyes. Before I knew it, it was my turn to beat Claire. I walked up to her and stared into her eyes. She was in pain. Her lip and cheek were bleeding and her left eye was red and swollen.
"I'm sorry." I whispered. I shut my eyes and punched her as hard as I could, right in the mouth. Claire yelped, but stood her ground. I slowly opened my eyes and Claire was standing there proud and excited. "Congratulations Claire Blossom-Topaz. You are now an official serpent." Everyone clapped and cheered as Toni and Cheryl walked over presenting their daughter with a bright magenta leather jacket. Huge smilies were plastered against the family's face as Claire slipped the jacket onto her body. She turned around and a giant snake was on presented on the back with the words south side serpents written around it. Everyone clapped and cheered as Claire was announced an official serpent.