CHAPTER FIVE: LIES AND TRUTHS

Rachel jumps on the cheap motel bed, pizza slide on her hand. Kory stands leaned on the wall, keeping an eye over the two teenagers. Gar garbs a pizza box, looking through all the pieces and deciding which one he likes the best before grabbing it and sitting next to Rachel, handing me the hot box. I seat on the shitty chair, biting down the hot food and relaxing for a second.

After getting out of the manor and driving non-stop for hours we finally made it to a shitty motel. Nobody was very excited about spending the night there. To be honest, nobody was very excited about the detective's last decision –which included trading the Porsche for a minivan before I could even attempt to steal it for a ride.

"All right, guys. Listen up. We're all in one piece, more or less. We need to figure out where we stand and determine what's mission critical."

""Mission critical"?"

"Is that a cop thing? It sounds like a cop thing."

"It's military talk actually." I tell the green haired boy. My eyes move to pry on the man. Military tactics and lingo was not something taught on the law forces. Unless we're talking federal or C.I.A level.

"I had some combat training when I was younger."

"And he's a cop."

"I'm sorry, you were referring to "we"?" Kory asks.

"We, as of right now, are a group of people who share a common enemy."

"Which makes us what?"

"Nothing. An inconvenience, really." I mutter under my breath but pretty boy seems to hear it as he sends me an annoyed look to which I reply with an innocent smile.

"Let's call it an alliance. One born of mutual need."

"And what is that?"

"To stay alive. We have no idea how long until they find us."

"You just said "they". Who are "they"? What do they want." Gar asks. Truly the poor boy had just walked in here blindly and now we were responsible for him. I am not having another dead kid on my conscience.

"We don't know who they are. But they want me."

"It's because of her.... Abilities."

"They make violence look like an art."

"It's pretty fucking impressive really." I admit. A hint of awe on my voice. Sure they were bastards that were better off dead. But the fighter on me, the street kid who had spent one too many nights on the clandestine fight rings down the Narrows couldn't help but acknowledge how sick their moves were.

"The people that attacked us fought in unison. They were perfectly coordinated. We're not. We can't fight like that unless we learn each other's moves."

"Inspiring." Kory says and I loudly chuckle. She sends me and smirk to which I answer with a playful wink. I may need a partner in crime to get under his skin.

"You do realize the probabilities of that happening are slim to none, right?"

"Yes. So we have to stick together." His words are slow and dragging, brown eyes on me. He knows I don't like the idea, but he also knows that Rachel needs him. "And we train."

[ / ] [ / ] [ / ]

So that's what we intent to do. Or at least try to do so. Now we stand inside an old but huge barn. Grayson stands in front of us, ready to give a prep talk and guide us. Kory stands next to Rachel and Gar while I seat on a big pile of dry straw.