CHAPTER SEVEN: NIGHTMARES

It's late morning and my conversation with Kory about her immaculate sense of fashion is cut short by Rachel walking out the bathroom and into the kitchen. I jump off my seat when I see blood on her hands. Behind me, Kory and Dick stare at the girl.

"Rach, are you hurt?" I try calling her name again, but her eyes are still on her hands until they move up to meet mine. A confused yet horrified look on her shade of blue. "Rachel."

"H-He sliced his throat. He said I could save him. Save all of them."

"He killed himself?"

"No. I did it. I saved him." Rachel answers Kory's question, making the three of us looks at each other.

The guy had tried to kill himself and Rachel cured him. What was his goal? How could he know Rachel could do it? I look at the Detective and give him a little nod. With Kory, they walk inside the bathroom while I gently grab Rachel by the arm.

"Why don't we get you cleaned up, huh?"

"Why would he do it?"

"I don't know. But I plan on finding out. Now you need to get wash your hands and eat something, okay?"

"I'll help her." Gar offers, walking closer to the girl. "You get inside there. I've got this."

"Okay." 

When I walk inside the bathroom, I see Kory casually leaning against the wall. Dick on the other hand has a strong grip of Adamson's shirt, bringing him against the glass wall keeping him there by his twisted arm.

"What do you want with Rachel?"

"She will purify the world."

"I'm not gonna ask you again."

"To reunite her with her father." The elder man finally says, making us all frown.

Sure, that possibility had already crossed my mind. If her mom was dead and her biological mother was not on the picture, the only person interested could be the father. But when said girl has satanic powers, which means it's not just a father trying to get back with his kid.

"Who is he? Where is he?"

"I don't know. I swear."

"Is he my employer?" I ask stepping closer to him.

"No. No directly, we just follow orders. You can't stop him. Angela couldn't. Melissa couldn't. No one can keep Rachel from him."

"Who's Angela?" Kory asks now. Angela, a pretty name. A new name. Melissa was Rachel's adoptive mother. The one who died trying to protect the kid she loved and raised. But Melissa Roth was an only child, and her parents were dead, background check showed that much. Could Angela be her biological mother then? Someone blood related to Rachel? "You said she couldn't keep Rachel from him. Who is Angela?"

Adamson groans but keeps quiet despite the pressure Dick applies to his arm. Stepping behind the boy, I put my hand on his arm and motion him to step back. Doubt runs through his eyes but finally steps back, allowing me to take his place.

I crouch for a moment, grabbing the broken crystal tube before I step behind him and start to piece his lower back. A tail of blood stains the shirt and he groans deeply in pain.

"Ask him again."

"Who's Angela."

"Her mother. Angela is her mother." Adamson finally says; the tube already one and a half inches into his back.

"Now we're getting somewhere. Let's talk about Angela." Kory nods at me and I push a little, making him cry in pain. This made for a hell of a conversation.