CHAPTER TEN: THIS MAY BE THE END

The early morning light peaks through my closed eyes and I groan using my arm to block it. The noises from the busy streets of New York wakes me up totally and I stretch myself on the king sized bed. An arm sneaks over my sheet covered waist, head resting on the crook of my neck.

"Sleep well?"

"Yeah, it was much needed." I smile, bringing the hand resting on my hip to my lips. A loud crash coming from the kitchen makes me sit upright in alert. "What was that?"

"Probably Buttercup being a brat again. It's your fault, you know? You spoil her too much."

"She's my girl, how could I not. Plus, it was gift from Selina."

"And you named her Buttercup?" The brunette laughs kissing my shoulder.

"I don't know what you mean, it's a great name. The Princess Bride is a classic; no movie has ever achieved her greatness."

"It was... good."

"Just good? Is that how you ready want to go?"

"That's how I want to go." The playful smirk makes me laugh and I roll us, my back landing against the mattress as I bring our lips together, deepening the kiss every second.

"Good morning, Katie."

"Good morning, gorgeous." I smile at her.

Anika's hair falls messily down her back and her face. The green of her eyes sparkle against the New York sunshine. My eyes fall from her face to the pink plumb scarring on her chest. After the incident she covered them, tried to apply as much make-up as she could to make them invisible. It wasn't for her; she did it to make me feel less guilty. Because it was my fault.

"Stop starring at them. We should get up." Anika says, coming down to peck my lips before jumping off the bed. "I have a lunch meeting, and you should be at the gym in two hours."

"I don't feel like leaving bed today. You can cancel lunch and I can call sick." I whine fake coughing before a pillow hits my face. "Rude."

"Get up and check on your cat."

I roll my eyes and sit up. I unplug my phone from the charger, unlocking it to see the annoying notifications and reminders of today's date. April 19th. Fifteen years had gone by since that day. Four years since I moved from Gotham to New York, trying to follow a better life and a beautiful girl.

I kick the kitchen door open, the smell of fresh coffee lifting my mood. As I pour it on a Metropolis mug –a very unfunny birthday gift from my girlfriend. I see Buttercup jump on the countertop. Her green eyes look up from the bright blue mug to mine as she greets me good morning.

"Hi baby girl, did you sleep well?" I ask her, my hand coming to caress her raven black fur. "Tonight you'll sleep with me. We won't let the evil hobbit keep us apart."

"Stop antagonizing me with your cat!" Anika scream from the living room, making me laugh. "Gotham's on the national news, Kat."

"Breaking news." I mutter sarcastically, kissing Buttercup's head before walking to the fridge to grab some yogurt and cereal. "When the fuck are we not?"

"Joker's dead."

"What?" my body freezes at the words. Could it be? Could I finally be that the Joker was dead? Was it the world's lucky day? "For real?"

"For real." Anika confirms from the other room. "Batman killed him. Allegedly."

"Fuck." That was new. For all the years he had been active, he had never killed. Not directly anyways, and especially not him. He had never killed the crazy clown no matter how many chances he had or how much he deserved. Because Batman didn't kill, it wasn't his way. A bird had assured me of that years ago.